Saturday 1 October – AFL Grand Final Day (that Australian Football League for my international friends!). Back to Port Augusta


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Port Augusta
October 1st 2016
Published: October 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 1 October – AFL Grand Final Day (that Australian Football League for my international friends!). Back to Port Augusta



The Whyalla caravan park was excellent, with large drive-through bays which were gravel. There was also plenty of lawn around. We enjoyed the warmer weather and certainly made the most of it as the forecast was for more storms on Sunday. We were hoping they won’t be too bad as some areas in SA were still being flooded.



Before leaving Whyalla, we had a drive around and then headed 70km north back to Port August. We had a fantastic lunch after setting up our vans. It was heading on towards time for the Big Game.



We drove into the CBD and found the Hannahville Hotel as I wanted some ‘atmosphere’ to watch the AFL Grand Final. The pub was very well managed by Ron. After the lunch-time goers left there was only 8 of us and Ron.



We thought ‘’where is the atmosphere’’. However, our company turned out to be great fun. Ron also supplied hot pies and he started a sweep. For each quarter we had to guess the difference in score and who was winning. It added a different angle to our watching. I didn’t move from supporting the Bulldogs. Doug and Tom & I all won different quarters, although Tom & I were equal winners for the 3rd quarter.



What a fantastic game. All but 2 people were supporting the Dogs. After the game we chatted to Ron learning he loved 4 wheel driving. He also owns the pub at Penong, 70km west of Ceduna. He gave us some hints on fantastic 4x4 drives in SA as well as a book which Graham Stokes wrote on northern SA.



All in all, it was a fantastic afternoon, made so good with the right team winning and the weather being beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb