Parachilna. Population: 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Parachilna
June 12th 2005
Published: January 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Parachilna.Parachilna.Parachilna.

This is where one of the scenes from the movie Rabbit Proof Fence was filmed. I recommend watching this film if you haven't already.
Climbing Mt. Ohlssen.
Cardio system tested.
Big trek up and down.

Wow! We got to sleep in ‘til 7 this morning since our departure time was set for 8AM. This morning’s task was to trek up Mt. Ohlssen of the Flinders Ranges. It was a bit of a steep trek up but worth it once we made it to the top. We encountered a couple of poisonous snakes in the bush and upon closer inspection there was also an echidna in the bush as well. Stupid Mr. Sleep-in decided to throw a rock at the snakes so we had to hightail it out of there pretty quick just incase they got irritated at "us" and decided to strike...what an idiot...

By the time we got to the top, rested and took in the views and made our way down it was time for some lunch and surprise, surprise we didn't have sandwiches! Instead we were treated to some scrumptious chicken wings, salad and a quiche as well. Yummers!

After lunch we stopped off at Flinders lookout where Tanya was going to tell us some history and stories but it got really windy out so we had to retreat back to the bus to listen to them.

Next up was a short drive to Parachilna. It is only about 90 km on a dirt road from the Flinders lookout to our accommodations so it has been a nice and easy day after all the driving we've been doing the last few days. I like how I use the royal "we." 😊

Parachilna. Population: 2. Highlights of this place include the coal train that runs thru town between 6PM and midnight everyday (Apparently it is a really long train.) and Sunset. We didn't hear the train pass thru but we were able to see the sunset.

We did a lot of animal spotting today. Emus, Kangaroos and Camels. Hmm, exactly the same three animals that are on our menu for tonight's dinner. Emu burgers (a bit dry but tasted alright) Camel Sausage (a little salty) and Kangaroo Steak (reminded me of a beef steak...yum!)

After dinner we went to the local pub and sat outside because there are a few smokers in our group. We eventually moved to sit by the fire because it was a bit chilly. Mandy and I met a Vancouverite and his Aussie partner sitting by the fire. They moved back to Australia last year after being in Canada for about 5 years. She is an architect and he was a massage therapist back in Vancouver but has since changed careers to that of a pub manager. We chatted ‘til midnight about things such as things to see/do in Australia and also about SE Asia...always lots to talk about!

This weekend is the Queen's Birthday weekend so there are many people passing thru Parachilna for the long weekend. I find it quite interesting that a country wanting to leave the Commonwealth would observe the Queen's Birthday and have the day off for it as well. Oh well, I guess anything for a paid holiday! lol

Oh yes, a mouse was sighted in the kitchen back at our hostel. Yuck! I just hope I don't come face to face with the mouse since rodents are not my favourite thing in the world...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.424s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.3813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb