Walkabout 2.0: The Great Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Outback
October 28th 2008
Published: October 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A Friendly ReminderA Friendly ReminderA Friendly Reminder

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius
13 days, 3914 kms, 4 states, 1 territory, 3 drivers, two car rentals, 4 swags, 1 flight, 2 tents, 12 litres of water, $1.86/litre, a broken CD player, and no roadkill. Are we there yet?

It all started in Sydney, where we picked up Brenda Dovick, a friend from Sioux Lookout. Brenda has 'gone walkabout' for a little R 'n' R (research & writing). We were driving to South Australia, but what road ever follows a straight line? So we thought we'd make a few stops along the way.

This, my friends, was an epic journey. A true test of the wills. We have seen things and had experiences that have amazed even our Aussie friends. Not for the faint hearted. And not for those who have difficulties sitting for long periods of time. Thank god for iTunes.

But what more can I say? Enjoy the trip. Cheers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Day 1: Sydney, NSWDay 1: Sydney, NSW
Day 1: Sydney, NSW

Our journey begins at the airport where we pick up Brenda. Being the SuperGuides that we are we head into the city and take two trips over the Harbour Bridge!? I took a wrong turn at Wagga Wagga.
Circular QuayCircular Quay
Circular Quay

Brenda, Michelle and G take a walking tour of Circular Quey, the hub of the city.
Harbour Bridge & The RocksHarbour Bridge & The Rocks
Harbour Bridge & The Rocks

After a look at the Harbour Bridge we checked out the Rocks Market and settled in for fish and chips at the Mercantile Hotel.
Night at the OperaNight at the Opera
Night at the Opera

Saturday night at the opera is very busy during Wedding Season.
Day 3: Canbera, ACTDay 3: Canbera, ACT
Day 3: Canbera, ACT

Gabe relaxes outside the House of Parliament. The buildings are dug into the hill. No copper roofing to replace. Just mow and water!
Aborignal Circle Art and Old Parliament HouseAborignal Circle Art and Old Parliament House
Aborignal Circle Art and Old Parliament House

Signs of reconciliation are everywhere in the new Australia. The name Canberra comes from the Aboriginal term for 'meeting place'.
Australian War MemorialAustralian War Memorial
Australian War Memorial

The Hall of Memory contains the remains of the Australian Unknown Soldier.
Simpson, The Donkey Man of GallipoliSimpson, The Donkey Man of Gallipoli
Simpson, The Donkey Man of Gallipoli

John Simpson Kirkpatrick, affectionately known as "the man and his donkey", was born on the 6th of July 1892 in South Shields, England. He landed at ANZAC Cove at 5 a.m. on the 25th of April 1915 and was mortally wounded in Shrapnel Gully, near the mouth of Monash Valley, on the 19th of May 1915 at the age of 22. During the 24 days he spent at ANZAC Cove on the Gallipoli Penninsula, he operated as a sole unit with his beloved donkey and is credited with saving the lives of probably hundreds of men. General C. H. Brand described Simpson as he was often seen, 'Almost every digger knew about him. The question was often asked : "Has the bloke with the donk stopped one yet ?" It seemed incredible that anyone could make that trip up and down Monash Valley without being hit. Simpson escaped death so many times the he was completely fatalistic. He seemed to have a charmed life.'
Parade of HeroesParade of Heroes
Parade of Heroes

This road, Anzac Parade, is Canberra's commemorative way. With memorials along it's route it runs between the War Memorial and Old Parliament House. In the background is Parliament Hill. City engineers believed it was important for today's politicians to be continually reminded of the sacrifices made by Australia's service men and women.
Day 4: Kosciuszko National Park, NSWDay 4: Kosciuszko National Park, NSW
Day 4: Kosciuszko National Park, NSW

An arduous journey through the Snowy Mountains begins.
Threadbo, NSWThreadbo, NSW
Threadbo, NSW

This photo is proof that it does snow in Australia, but only in this area. Here they call it 'going to the snow'.
Tom Groggin Cattle StationTom Groggin Cattle Station
Tom Groggin Cattle Station

Here is where the Legend was created - The Man From Snowy River. Jack Riley, the stockman that Banjo Patterson wrote about in his famous Aussie poem, lived and worked on Tom Groggin Station. This is the country that was the site of that famous ride. Brumbies, those wild bush horses, still roam the hills, and the surrounding Park is full of kangaroos, emus, wombats and birds of all description.
The Happy CoupleThe Happy Couple
The Happy Couple

There's nothin blue about these Snowy Mountains.
The Man From Snowy RiverThe Man From Snowy River
The Man From Snowy River

Welcome to Corryong, Victoria, home of the Man From Snowy River Bush Festival. Put that in your pipe, Burt!
Day 5: Phillip Island, VICDay 5: Phillip Island, VIC
Day 5: Phillip Island, VIC

After a late-night visits with the Fairy Penguins at the Penguin Parade, we woke to seek out the seals at the Nobbies. They are there in this picture. Trust us. Most disturbing were the seagulls who felt we were threatening their nesting chicks. Holy Hitchcock!
Koalas!Koalas!
Koalas!

Brenda hadn't seen a Koala yet so we climbed into the Koala Conservation Centre on Phillip Island.
More KoalasMore Koalas
More Koalas

Wake up sleepy Koalas. Time to get back on the road.
Even More Koalas!Even More Koalas!
Even More Koalas!

Notice the two thumbs. All the better to hug you with!
Short Beaked EchidnaShort Beaked Echidna
Short Beaked Echidna

Over 3000 kms of driving and not one roadkill incident, not even this slow poke on the Great Ocean Road. This is amazing considering the amount of carnage you see. When they say you are guaranteed to see a kangaroo, they mean it.


29th October 2008

Great pictures and comments Donald--brings back lots of memories. I loved the Great Ocean Road.
29th October 2008

WOW!!
Wow!! I can hardly wait to see some of this scenery ,animals, birds ,etc. Keep enjoying traveling around and sending pics and comments. Althea
2nd November 2008

WOW
Your pictures are great! Wish I was there with you guys. Fall is here and all the leaves have fallen. Snow is just around the corner. Its good to see you guys having fun!! Take care Love the Kuzys
5th November 2008

Envy!
I can't believe the things you guys are getting to do! I think you guys are amazing. I hope all the traveling is as fun as you are making it look and that you all are taking care. The Man from Snowy River got to me as you knew it would. I hope I win the super 7 on Friday and then we will all join you. I'll be taking more time out to visit you on the blog. Sorry it took me so long.
9th December 2008

I'm FROZEN!
Hi guys, Jonathan from Sioux Lookout where it is currently warming up to -24 C. Gabriel thank you for the great Bat Man gift. It reminds me of my Radium Hot Springs pictures of Spiderman's car! Don you look like your having a great time until I saw the last train picture! I think Michelle and Brenda arranged this whole trip just so they can laugh and giggle and burn candles. Keep enjoying yourselves and providing us with envy... and don't eat any road kill unless you have to. Jonathan

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb