More of Mt Gambier


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Mount Gambier
March 17th 2013
Published: March 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We again walked past the Blue Lake and bussed it in to MG, made a pleasant change to walking in. Then, because we missed the connecting bus, we again walked. This time to Engelbrecht Caves, this is a huge complex of limestone caves under the city and first explored around 1884. Cave divers "crazy buggers" regularly explore this site and have provided maps showing the extent of this system. One vast chamber is under the Jubilee Hway, divers report that they can hear the sound of heavy transport.

The next part of our adventure, was actually on motor bikes (how strange) . We had heard from several people about Port McDonnell being a fabulous place to stay, so we rode the 25km east to check out what we had missed out on. Admittedly, the day wasn't the best, cold, with a fierce wind blowing (great for motor bike riding) and of course, the sun hiding behind very threatening grey clouds. But, it was still a bit of a let down actually, there were a great number of houses, but very few facilities. We weren't game enough to get petrol at the self serve/ put your card in the slot garage, as Eoin had only just had his card cancelled because it was "compromised" a few days earlier. The waterfront/beach area, must extend for several klicks, the entire length was covered in rotting kelp, which helped clear Gail's sinus at the time. The on shore wind/gale, did not help.After a mug of steaming hot coffee at the only place open we left. The wind and cold had not got any better on the return ride.

Our next stop was the Umpherston Sink Hole. Once a cave, formed through the dissolution of the limestone, this sink hole was created when the top of the chamber fell to the floor of the cave, creating the perfect environment for its "sunken" garden. If you ever make your way to MG, it really is another 'must see'.

On return to our camp, the heater was immediately activated.........

Advertisement



18th March 2013

Cold here too.
Sounds like it wasn't hard to pick a highlight today. Still as they say you never never know if you never never go. It's cold here this week too. It's like someone turned autumn on overnight. Hope the weather comes good for you soon.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb