A walking tour of Mount Gambier city.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Mount Gambier
March 14th 2013
Published: March 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a very crisp evening, dawn broke through the clouds to a glorious morning and we decided to walk for the day. We are camped right at the Blue Lake, so everywhere we go, we have to go around the lake to get there. Our first stop was an Aquifer tour that took us in a glass paneled lift down the original dolomite well shaft, from which the water was originally extracted. We then walked through a tunnel to get a closer look at theBlue Lake. We are lucky that the lake is still a vivid blue as it changes to a darker colour in Autumn. I am happy to explain the fundamentals of the change if anyone would like a personal detailed 30 minute powerpoint presentation .

We walked into central MG and found the sunken gardens at what they call the Main Corner. The town hall is also there, that had a 1 hour showing of a film depicting the geographic faults and geothermal upheavals that lead to the formations around the area. This was a very interesting (free) movie that we would highly recommend. They also had an interactive display of caves/diving and cave exploration.

Their tourist information centre has a scale replica of The Lady Nelson sailing ship (we were not allowed to go and play on it) but it was still educational.

After a day of walking, we found the local bus centre and realised that we can bus it everywhere for $2 a day. Our legs appreciated the bus trip back to the camp at 5.30pm.

Advertisement



15th March 2013

I'll put my hand for 30 minute powerpoint presenetation, but it has to be done in the next week.
15th March 2013

Catch the bus
My suggestion would be check out the transport options ahead of time. Having said that, I like the sound of walking around the town's attractions. Maybe the bus was more appreciated late in the day. Your travelogue will be very helpful for my future travels. You sound like you are even having fun with the challenges.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb