Sunday 2 October – leaving Port Augusta for Moonta Bay.

Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Moonta Bay
October 2nd 2016
Published: October 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 2 October – leaving Port Augusta for Moonta Bay.

It was a beautiful morning and we planned, and achieved an early start. SA started daylight saving so we also lost an hour. We got away at 9.00am (which was 8.00am before daylight saving) and headed for Port Germein, Port Pirie, Port Broughton, Kadina, Wallaroo to Moonta Bay, mostly stopping at each place.

As soon as we set up the van and while we were walking down the end of the jetty to see if anyone was catching fish, it started to blow a gale. It then started raining. There were a lot of people in the Park who had packed up and left.

Doug & Leura wanted to cook a roast sometime this trip, in their camp oven. We never seem to arrive at our night stop in time for her to put the oven on early enough. So today was the day. Doug was preparing the coals then along came the wind, so strong that the oven (which he put under his van out of the rain) would not heat up. Leura ended up cooking it in the oven inside the van. She was very disappointed and Doug said he was going home!!! We soon got him out of that with a beer and wine or 2!!!

While we were chatting, we heard a Mr Whippy ice-cream van drive past playing Greensleaves which we remember as kids. They went right through the van park…… and didn’t sell anything. People were not keen to walk out of their tent/van because of the strong wind. It was certainly not the weather to have an ice-cream but I noticed that they also sold coffee.

Despite the elements working against us, we had a great night and Leura’s roast was magnificent. Thank you to Doug ad Leura. It was fantastic.

After the lovely dinner, we watched the grand final of the Aust Rugby league – Sharks Vs Power and the Sharks won by 2, their 1st premiership win ever in their 30 or so years of playing. It was good to watch the game without sound (!!!) so we were able to chat away. We even called Sheryl to see what the weather was like in Freeling.

The wind was so strong, we had to hold our door tights when we went out of our van otherwise it would have crashed against the wall of the van. For a moment, during the evening, we watched the sun come out but bands of clouds kept coming over. The wind continued all night with very little rain. It didn’t worry us as our van is very stable….well it should be as it weighs 3 ton!!

Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 23


Tot: 3.038s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0258s; 3; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb