Elliston to Murphys Haystacks


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Monarto
May 5th 2013
Published: May 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Merino ram at sunsetMerino ram at sunsetMerino ram at sunset

Murphys Haystacks
Sunday 5th May

We love being woken with birdsong and waves swishing on the shoreline. Today we were woken by some great rumbling thunder and wondered if we should cancel the day and hide under the blankets for 24 hours.

Oh joy, within half an hour the sun was out and any thought of wasting the day vanished.

As an aside, while we slept well at Elliston, the occupiers of a pop-top caravan next to us didn't. Every few minutes a gum nut would drop from the tree and land on his tin roof with a real 'Plop'. On more than one occasion it wasn't one, but rather a shower from a pretty tall tree. I hope they had the gumption to ask for our gum nut free site after we left this morning.

Marg was at the helm for the first leg of the journey. Once we were a few kilometres out of Elliston we were back into grain country interspersed with flocks of sheep. The area is famous for its merino wool as well as wheat production. Our first stop was at the town of Colton. Well, there was a sign saying Colton, but unless
Colton BreadshopColton BreadshopColton Breadshop

Bread for sustenance.
you are in the know, you shoot past a marvellous South Australian institution - The Colton Bread Shop.

This roadside bakery is rather miniature and has no serving staff. There is a good selection of bread baked fresh every day. (mostly) If the sign says open, then it is. If not - stop and take a picture anyway. I selected Sticky Buns which made a yummy lunch today. Next door to the bakery is a little country Anglican Church. So, there you have the full run down on Colton.

Back on the road again we headed north through rolling country. There is a very big salt lake between the sand dunes of the coast and the grazing land by the highway.

Next stop was Venus Bay. This was my contribution to the journey having heard from a local that this was very pretty. it is a large safe haven for boaties with surf beaches as well, but those cliffs are dangerous. So after a brief stop, we drove through to Port Kenny, changed drivers and half an hour later we were at Murphys Haystacks.

The Haystacks are a couple of kilometres west off the highway down
Colton Anglican ChurchColton Anglican ChurchColton Anglican Church

Bread for the soul.
a sealed road, and they stand atop of a high ridge with 360 degree panorama of the district for 30 or more ks.

Does an Inselberg mean anything to you? Me neither. Think of them as granite icebergs floating in a field of wheat. These formations are weird, but made for lots of fun photos.

We enjoyed the sunset here, and hope the main cluster of inselbergs are lit up with a bright sunrise tomorrow.

Mean while, enjoy todays pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Venus BayVenus Bay
Venus Bay

Not star struck?
Fishing fleetFishing fleet
Fishing fleet

Venus Bay
The cloudsThe clouds
The clouds

Pretty much how we were unexcited this morning.
Murphys Haystacks 05Murphys Haystacks 05
Murphys Haystacks 05

Err - high. Keep on smilin'
Murphys Haystacks 06Murphys Haystacks 06
Murphys Haystacks 06

Look how we have shrunk!


5th May 2013

Unusual Haystacks
Certainly different. Murphy's Rock Stacks would be a better name? Huge and strange formations but part of God's handiwork. Certainly worth taking time to see.
5th May 2013

Unusual Haystacks
Certainly different. Murphy's Rock Stacks would be a better name? Huge and strange formations but part of God's handiwork. Certainly worth taking time to see.
11th May 2013

Murphy and pelicans
Wow! and people travel to Cappadocia to see such as this! There must be millions of pelicans in Oz - they are everywhere!

Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 24; qc: 175; dbt: 0.2345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb