Mannum on the Murray


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Mannum
May 30th 2012
Published: May 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


From Robe we drove along the coast and came to the large waterway known as the Coorong. Last time we were there it was drought time and there was a lot of worry about lack of water and salination of the soil. Now, thanks to all the rain this last year, the Coorong is full.

It stretches about 130 kilometres, now a wide waterway with islands where birds, mostly pelicans nest. We stopped where there was a walk to a lookout - I stayed behind due to the distance and my ankle, but Doug walked there and came upon two ladies complete with binoculars who were looking at the pelicans in the distance. They were awfully excited when a couple flew into the air and told Doug one must stay 500 metres away from them (I thought that was whales). Doug didn't have the heart to tell them most times there is a pelican sitting on each lamp post by the lake at home, nor that they bother the fisherman on the banks of the lake by swimming up to them, hoping for a feed.

So we drove along the Coorong for quite a while until we came to
Path to the pelican lookout the CoorongPath to the pelican lookout the CoorongPath to the pelican lookout the Coorong

The islands where they roost are called … Pelican Islands !
the town of Meningie on Lake Albert, a very large lake, part of the Coorong, and it was there we stayed the night with beautiful sunset views over the water.

Today we drove to Murray Bridge, and then on to Mannum where we'll stay tonight. Mannum is a very pretty place. There are nice old stone buildings, the homes are also mostly of stone and the majority quite old. We have a site right on the river where we can see houseboats and the little car ferry busy going backwards and forwards. There are paddlesteamers .. the Murray Princess which is quite grand and takes visitors up the river overnight, the Marion and Proud Mary which doesn't seem to be in it's spot at the moment.

There are also ducks and cormorants, seagulls and water hens enjoying the water. We always like seeing all the different birds on our travels - we've seen quite a few emus and different coloured parrots as well as the usual cockatoos and galahs. We miss the morning call of our Kookaburra at home though.

We often get to read brochures we've picked up along the way, long after we've left that town. On finally reading what to see and do in Mount Gambier, we found that there is a plaque at the Blue Lake dedicated to the aforementioned Adam Lindsay Gordon noting how he leapt his horse over the safety fence to the narrow strip of land between it and the lake. Foolish, brave, and unexpected for a man who called his home Dingely Dell.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

bridges, Murray Bridgebridges, Murray Bridge
bridges, Murray Bridge

railway on the left, the first bridge to cross the Murray on the right


31st May 2012
Parked at the Coorong

Delightful...
The landscape just looks so healthy and warm...Though I am guessing it is not so much as warm but more healthy! Looking forward to reading more. x
31st May 2012
Parked at the Coorong

Lovely in the sun but coolish out it.

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb