Day 23


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Kingston
March 1st 2011
Published: March 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Rick's PetRick's PetRick's Pet

Patting the tree eating Kangaroo. Now no longer with us, but with an head like a Koala and Kangaroo body, they certaily must have been interesting
We were able to leave Mt Gambier at around 9:10am, not bad considering we are not in a hurry.
We set the GPS to take us to Naracoorte, a World Heritage park that contains more limestone caves.
The country side we travelled through was flat and beautiful farming areas, with cattle, sheep and grapes for wine.
The road was straight and had 110km speed limit, and the Nissan and van tracked along that at a very comfortable pace.
We arrived at the cave area at around 10:30am to have a morning tea and book for a tour of the Bat Cave as well as a walk through the time tunnel of the info centre and a self guided tour of the Wet cave.
The visit through the time tunnel and the animated creature’s of bygone eras was great. They have built the for-runners of the leaf eating Kangaroo and the huge early Wombat (has a different name but certainly looks like a huge wombat!) and koala from the guidance of the fossils found in the area. Great stuff!
We then took the guided tour of the bat cave, this was in fact an infra red camera set up in a cave
Karon Taking on an Early Tasmanian tigerKaron Taking on an Early Tasmanian tigerKaron Taking on an Early Tasmanian tiger

They certainly were larger than the ones now, and Karon decided to take it n a teach it who is boss
system inhabited by little bats.
Amazing, watching live feed pictures of these marsupials, and the explanation by the guide was well worth the fee.
They used to number around 200,000 back in 1970, when first came under scrutiny, but now number at around 30,000. The decline could be attributed to any number of influences, but it appears they have stabilized over the last few years.
We then did a tour of a cave with the guide and stopped for a lunch break, and did a self guided tour of the Wet Cave system.
All interesting and well enjoyed by us both.
We tripped into the township of Naracoorte, to take in the Wool museum. A trip back to a woolshed for Rick, but interesting enough, as well as the buildings surrounding the museum, of the old Post Office and school rooms.
Also housed next door the old Car museum that we managed to have a look through, courtesy of a local enthusiast being there getting his old tractor ready for a local show.
Very well kept old tractors and some vintage cars.
We hit the road again at 3pm to head t Kingston, the home of the “BIG LOBSTER”
With
THe Large Wmbat type creatureTHe Large Wmbat type creatureTHe Large Wmbat type creature

This was estimated to weigh around 2,500kgs, certainly a large herbavore, (we hope)
mouth watering the trip only took about an hour and a half, we set up in the caravan park and set out after a quick wine o’clock in search of the Big Lobster. Gee we found it and the restaurant had closed at 5pm as had every other restaurant in town.
Oh boy!!
We took a drive along the foreshore and had a look around and then home to cook Curried chicken and rice.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The CaveThe Cave
The Cave

Part of the cave tour
The BIG LobsterThe BIG Lobster
The BIG Lobster

Well no lobster tonight, they close at 5pm, must be early risers around Kingston


1st March 2011

hi
nice pics

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb