...gets better and better


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Once we felt comfortable that we had slipped the authorities in Mount Gambier, we could enjoy the country side. It was raining off and on again and it was not long until we could check off our daily rainbow. Then we got stopped by a ferry river crossing that was not shown on the maps, but that gave me time to snap my daily windmill shot.

Before long the scenery really changed to flat, and I mean reall y flat. Stopped for a bite to eat in a really quaint little town and shot one of the many stone churches...they are gorgeous.

The country side then turned to what for a lack of anything else...a golf course that went on forever...it was beautiful. Shot a picture of Kangaroo Island before sunset, and one as we left on the ferry. The sun came back out and got another sunset on KI.

We picked up our car and did a quick drive arround the little shippingport of Penneshaw where we would spend the night. Had a great meal at the local hotel/pub/pokie establishment, then off for the nighttime tour of the penguin colony on the island.

The older gentleman that had a passion for the little guys gave us a personal tour as we were the only ones. He had a torch (flashlight) equipped with a red filter that could not be seen by the birds but allowed us to at least see a little of their borrows and chicks. Went back the next morning and took a shot of the manmade borrows that the penguins have apparently taken to. The population has taken a real hit the last year which I'll get to later. These little guys, 1/30 weight of the "march of the penguins" fame have the run of the town...and they are noisy.

As we have become accustom to, it was sprinkling when we got up for for coffee and bakery stop. And again as we have become accustom to, the sun came out on the other side of the road to make our rainbow. The house designs are really quite striking and enjoy taking various shots of the houses. They all have some sort of brick/stone exterior and a wrap around porch.

Got a kick out of signs posted in various locations in the national parks concerned about the mental health of the aussies. Haven't quite pinned it down, and although people seem lay back, there is a growing concern about pressures of workplace with GPS installations so companies can keep track of their employees. News papers have reports of families suing companies where the husband has committed suicide.

Our strategy was to head to the far side of the island and then work our way back. First stop was Admiral Arch. It was really blustery as you would expect as this is the location for the light house and site of many ship wreck legends. The arch was really an amazing formation. in view is a sheltered pool that the NZ fur seals love to use for play. For some reason the fur seal population went up 20% in the last couple of years and, as I mentioned earlier w/r to penguin population decreasing, you can guess what the fur seals like to feast on...hard to figure out mother nature. The limestone landscape is an amazing variety of succulents filling every little nook and cranny.

Our next stop would be remarkable rocks. They did prove to be remarkable! And remarkably Ruth & I could explore and ponder without a single other person there.

Before I forget, yes there were a lot of kangaroos around, unfortunately we saw twice as many flat ones as the ones bouncing around. Ruth and I continue to delight in birdwatching...even the common ones are beautiful.

We stopped at a cave which is under the sandy surface. It was amazing and intriguing as it is now "dead" as it is totally dry. They have been blessed with a good deal of rain, and still no seepage in the caves...curious? South Aus is in the middle of a draught and they are already the dryest region of the dryess continent....they take water issues very seriously. One local paper had a headline something like "Recycled water for drinking needs to get over the YUK factor."

Last shot before leaving was from a hike to get a 360 degree view. I included the picture of the wooden stair assent as Ruth claims it's the first time in her life (and she's really old) that a stair has been comfortable for her short legs...it was all 3 inch risers.

After driving the two hours to Adelaide, we ate and crashed.

The morning gave us the opportunity to grab the free bus and then to the Botanical garden. I really enjoyed seeing all the classes of kids in the gardens and they were all wearing hats. Trees continue to fascinate and the birds watching is great. The Galah is the grey and red birds that are seen as a pest and even their pigeons are dressed up with a crest.

We walked the North Adelaide suburb with it's renovated houses and beautiful churches. I guess I'm in a little of a funk...what are people going to be taking pictures of 150 years from now that we are designing and building...I think the new performing arts complex on the riverfront is pretty sorry. The riverfront development consists of apprx 35 KM of biking and walking paths.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb