The Heysen Trail (South) - Part 6


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Heysen
April 28th 2009
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cape Jervis to Kyeema


Additional maps: Chain of Ponds to Rifle Range | Peters Hill to Webb Gap

5 April 2009



This morning Tim and I drove our cars down to Myponga to complete another leg of the Heysen Trail, two hours passed from the time I left home till the time we began the walk, almost all legs closer to home have now been completed. The first hour of the walk was though the Yulte Conservation Park and involved some steep and difficult climbs through virgin native bush and was as enjoyable as it was beautiful.

After that it was three hours of slogging up and down hills in farmers paddocks. There were a few nice views of Victor Harbor and the ocean from the top of Mt Cone and we saw a variety of farm animals and the odd kangaroo or two. At one stage we passed a firing range where groups of want to be rambo's fired at a cardboard targets in the rain, we were both concerned we would catch a stray bullet. Eventually we reached my car 4.45hrs and 21km later, it was a hard walk through often unattractive scenery in less than pleasant weather. We both agreed we would not be hurrying to do this section again.

After picking up Tim's car at Myponga we drove to the Victory Hotel at Sellicks Beach for a top meal and a few beers before beginning the hour and a half drive home.



11 April 2009



Ruth and I completed the last of the Adelaide Hills legs this morning when we walked from Chain of Ponds to Rifle Range Road near Kersbrook. It was a pleasant walk in cool conditions, we began by winding our way through Crawford Forest climbing one hill after another before finally arriving at the forest fringe. We then crossed two or three kilometres of open farm land littered in sheep shit before climbing Checkers Hill and following the ridgeline passed the beautiful town of Forreston.

We got lost briefly as the marker was hidden by high grass before climbing a few quite steep slopes and a slipping down a few as well. On one occassion we startled a leap of approximately 30 kangaroos as we negotiated a steep slope while the kookaburra's cackled at each other in the trees over head. After two and a half hours and 12km we turned a bend in the road to find Ruth's car. It took roughly fifteen minutes to drive from here to the Inglewood Inn where we had a good meal and a few Lobethal Ales.



26 April 2009



This morning Ruth, Tim and I headed down to Cape Jervis to do the most Southern leg of the Heysen Trail, unfortunately for me I got a speeding fine passing through Myponga, I hate the two hour drive down there. Eventually around 9am we arrived at the meeting point at Cobblers Hill Campsite where the organised walks (End to End 4) for members commence with a bus ride to the Cape Jervis ferry terminal. Due to the lateness of our arrival we ended up on the second bus trip which meant we didnt get started till 11am.

On finally arriving at Cape Jervis we learned that these walks are thoroughly organised and that participants are expected to stay together at all times, this we did not especially care for as walking along in a huge group just spoils the experience, so we spoke to the organisers and went off on our own, which they didnt like very much. We set off at a cracking pace to get a head of the groups behind us eventually leaving them behind, the weather was average with the occassional rain squall blowing in to soak us before blowing past, still the views of rugged coastline and of Kangaroo Island were great.

The first section of the trail to Fishery Beach was easy growing a little more difficult until we reached the funny looking flying saucer house. We then negotiated the dangerous section of the trail along the cliff tops before catching the massive group that left an hour before we did. This was a problem as we caught them on the way down to Blowhole Beach and although we did try we found it impossible to pass them all on the narrow trail that wound for four kilometres up Cobblers Hill. The hill was a steep and tough climb for us as we used a lot of energy trying to get past all the people during the day, still we arrived at our destination only 15 minutes behind the pace setters and hours ahead of some of those who started with us.

At the end we got a complimentry chocolate frog before heading for the car and the two hour drive home. Over all the walk was pretty good, the major problem being the huge crowds of people and the huge amount of time we wasted getting started. Unfortunately we couldnt find a pub still serving food so we dropped Tim off and headed home.

2 - 3 May 2009



Tim and I set off from my place around 7am we are heading to Marrabel where we will meet the Heysen Trail End to End 3 walkers. After a brief stop in Kapunda at the public ammenities we arrived at the meeting point and followed other walkers vehicles to the end point of this leg where we parked the car and jumped on a bus that took us to the start point near Peters Hill.

This is our first walk with this group and our first overnighter aswell, this group is much smaller than the one we joined at Cape Jervis the previous weekend numbering about 80 souls.

On arriving at the start point Tim and I joined the fast group which set a pretty decent pace and covered the 18 kilometres to Gerkies Gap Rd in about four hours. Unfortunately this leg was a little on the dull side with ony a few ruins worth seeing along the way.

On completion of the walk Tim and I popped into the Marrabel Hotel where we had a few ales and chatted with the publican before borrowing the phone to book a cheap room ($35 twin) at the Saddleworth Hotel where we spent much of the afternoon before going to the Green Valley Hotel for dinner.

The next morning we were up early looking for somewhere to get some food eventually going to Riverton to raid the shop before heading to the trail head for the days walk, I was concerned I would run out of petrol so I arranged for a fellow walker to follow me out to the nearest fuel station after the walk.

This walk began with a steep climb up into the Tothill Range where we traversed some attractive country before climbing to a ridge line that afforded some great views of the valley below. We rested here before continuing our journey through some lovely bushland before again entering farm country. Here I got up close and personal with a lost lamb, later we were challenged by an alpacca that was protecting a flock of sheep.

It was a pleasant interesting 18 kilometre walk through lovely country on a beautiful day and both Tim and I are keen to walk with this group again. Tim and I stopped for a pint at the Riverton central Hotel n the way home.

9 May 2009



South again this week I am going to complete the Mt Compass to Kyeema leg of the trail with Mark and Kim Meyer. After an early departure we arrived at the trail head just outside Mount Compass around 830am in misty rain and began walking north east towards Mt Magnificant.

Initially the walk was flat and we saw many Kangaroos and some lovely native bushland before hitting Nangkita Rd. From here it was a steep walk along Stones Ford Rd before traversing a lovely valley along the Finniss River. On arriving at Finniss CP we climbed again along the fenceline before exiting the park and entering the Mt Magnificent CP where Mark discovered the honeycombs in the tree.

We then decided to scale Mt Magnificent it was a short steep climb that was worth the effort as the views from the summit were breath taking. We then walked on through the park exiting on Blackfellows Creek Rd, which we followed till we reached the Kuitpo Hippy colony before climbing a hill and entering a challenging stretch of attractive bushland before after 6 hours we arrived at the carpark on Woodgate Hill Rd.

It was an enjoyable walk through some lovely country Mt Magnificent was a definate highlight.




Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Phillipstown CemeteryPhillipstown Cemetery
Phillipstown Cemetery

Chain of Ponds


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb