Wilpena Pound


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Hawker
April 23rd 2013
Published: April 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Jeff Morgan GalleryThe Jeff Morgan GalleryThe Jeff Morgan Gallery

A World Class Artwork In The Outback. PUT THIS GALLERY ON YOUR BUCKET LIST.
Tuesday 23

Have you ever been so impressed by something you want to tell everyone?




Quite by chance that happened to Marg and I today.

We had a leisurely drive north from Terowie to Hawker where we wanted to base ourselves for loking around the central Flinders Ranges. One dilemma we faced was how could we see and experience the wonder of Wlipena recognising that our minds are much more willing than our bodies are capable of accomplishing.

For those who have never visited Wilpena, it is a large natural amphitheatre shaped mass with rugged and precipitous rock walls. Entry to the interior is through one natural opening or one of a few gorges and dry river beds. To see the expense one either flies over or climbs to the highest peak or shake through in a 4WD, all of which are great options.

OR, you visit the Wilpena Panorama in Hawker as we did. Cameras are not allowed in this amazing artwork, but with permission of the artist, I have been allowed to take a few promotional photos to encourage travellers into this region to get a sense of the magnitude and rough beauty of
Marg standing on the central platformMarg standing on the central platformMarg standing on the central platform

DO NOT REPRODUCE THESE PICTURES
the regioin. The Artist, Jeff Morgan, has created a 360 degree panoramic painting of Wilpena Pound, and this has earned him world wide recognition, Everyone who comes to Hawker should come and spend some time just soaking up the beauty of the region. There is so much detail in his painting that accurately represents both the forest floor and the folded rocky landscapes and the rugged mountain peaks. But wait, there's more. Jeff has three other huge paintings from the region which are totally captivating. All this for $8.00! We were there for nearly 2 hours, and loved the beauty he has so faithfully represented.

Tell everyone who comes this way to take the time to come into this fascinating gallery.

David and Mary saw the artwork, and Mary's jaw dropped when she saw the third of the three paintings apart from the panorama, and that was my experience too. Since then they took their 4WD through two gorges to cross the pound and were excited about their adventure. We chose for health reasons not to torment Marg's creaky bones, but will venture in a little way on foot later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Rocky folded mountainsRocky folded mountains
Rocky folded mountains

DO NOT REPRODUCE THESE PICTURES
Detail of the native grassesDetail of the native grasses
Detail of the native grasses

DO NOT REPRODUCE THESE PICTURES
Looking up into the panoramaLooking up into the panorama
Looking up into the panorama

DO NOT REPRODUCE THESE PICTURES
Magestic Landscape PaintingMagestic Landscape Painting
Magestic Landscape Painting

DO NOT REPRODUCE THESE PICTURES


25th April 2013

Facinating stuff
Loved the photos they really are something. It sounds like a pretty tiring trip to see it in the real though. Warm again here have fun.
25th April 2013

photos
just magic

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb