Ghost Town - Terowie, SA


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Flinders Ranges
April 22nd 2013
Published: April 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Enviromental MessageEnviromental MessageEnviromental Message

One of four murals in Jamestown
Monday 22nd April

Today we left behind the coastal waters of Spencer Gulf and headed North East inland into the Flinders Ranges.

Our first stop along the way was Port Broughton, another picturesque sea side town with the jetty and marina straight off the end of the main street. Looked like a quiet holiday spot, but minimal surviving businesses. This was our departure point for heading into the Flinders Ranges.

The lower Flinders Ranges has had a significant impact on South Australia. The part we drove through today to Terowie is a very productive rural cropping area. There are also large flocks of sheep. I suspect these are bough to fatten as they clear the stubble from the harvested crops areas.

Again the acreage in grain is huge, and there was an interesting patchwork of colours where whitish stubble, green trees, brown/red soil tilled, and newly planted winter crops sporting bright green tops blended into the panorama.

Dotted amongst these once again were crumbling stone homes and sheds from the 1800s.

Not only was this a vibrant rural area, small towns that serviced the growing railway system grew significantly.

Our second stop this morning was at Jamestown, and this is well established as a rural business centre. Many historical buildings and homes make up the town. We dropped into the bakery, purchased some cheese buns for lunch, and felt we should road test their custard squares.

Then we headed for Terowie which was to be our free camp in the yards of the old railway station. It must be 60 years since the railway bypassed this town, and turned a bustling town of 2000 people into a ghost town of 150 overnight.

Terowie was where broad gauge and standard gauge trains crossed from east to west coasts of Australia. Whether it was live stock, general freight or passengers, everything had to swap trains at Terowie Junction. But progress linked east and west with a common gauge train system via port Augusta, and Terowie was left to die. Hospital - closed. Pubs - abandoned, although it looks like one may have survived, Churches - abandoned, Lubratorium - slipped into times abyss, Smithy - beaten by the changes. There is a real sense of loss where Terowie once held a significant role in East/West transport, now a forgotten Ghost Town. Maybe 150 people here
Old farmsteadOld farmsteadOld farmstead

Another of Marg's pics.
now, not sure. There is one general store with limited stock and includes a post office. Some of the old shops are now museum pieces.

The good folk of this town decided to make the old railway station precinct a free park for motorhomes and caravans in the hope they would add some trade to the town. Marg and Mary are doing that this afternoon while I type. I think there will be icecreams for afters tonight!

The friendly and attentive people of Terowie would like you to come and stay, learn a little of their history, and spend a little in the shop.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Old timerOld timer
Old timer

Port Broughton
Main StreetMain Street
Main Street

Port Broughton
Follow me babyFollow me baby
Follow me baby

Courtesy of Marg
Patchwork PasturesPatchwork Pastures
Patchwork Pastures

Courtesy of Marg


22nd April 2013

Certainly it is an old area but great photos though.
11th May 2013

Your effort
Must have taken you so much detailed planning to book all those different camp sites. Well done - that's part of the excitement isn't it?

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb