The Outback - Flinders Ranges


Advertisement
Published: August 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Got picked up at the very early time of 6.10am and left Adelaide for the start of our 6-day Adventure Tours tour Adelaide to Alice Springs. We drove a LOT on this trip, some days covering 700km, with nothing inbetween.

After a lot of driving and a few stops we arrived at the small town of Quorn which was to be our base for 2 nights. We were staying in an old mill. That afternoon we did a 3 hour, 9km hike to the top of a mountain called Dutchman's Stern. That was a hard walk, but the views were absolutely stunning! The shapes of the hills and just the view of the nothingness out there was great. Had Emu, Camel and Kangeroo for tea!
The next day we went to Wilpena Pound, a huge natural ampitheatre. On the way in there had been a film set for film called Road Train. The walk took us past an old homestead and we stopped at another on the drive back. Apparently there there loads of these around. Another stop was to view some Aboriginal rock art in a cave which was either hundreds or thousands of years old.
That night another group at The Mill decided to put on Wolf Creek, which was perhaps not the best idea considering we were in the area it had been filmed in! It was a sick film which was based on a number of true stories. It didn't make me scared of the outback but if I was stranded with a broken down car in the middle of the night then maybe I would change my mind!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Railway at QuornRailway at Quorn
Railway at Quorn

Very few trains go past. It used to be on the Ghan route but not any more.


25th August 2009

Looks fab as usual! Good times :) Miss you!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb