Arno Bay – A Quaint little town with a quaint Caravan Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Eyre Peninsula
September 7th 2021
Published: September 9th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Our next over-night stay was Arno Bay. We’d hear of it but knew very little about it other than Clean Seas, a company we had invested in had a presence there.



As populations and employment in rural towns decline it is imperative that they find a unique character to attract tourists to them, or they will rapidly die. As we travel, we try to explore different places, finding their hidden treasures, unique character and good deals.



Arno Bay is a very small coastal town with a lot to offer. There are very few shops … but there is a pub. The caravan park has large sites, many set deep under the dense shade of large tamarisk trees. Within a few steps of the caravan park is the jetty from which whiting can be caught. Social events are hosted several days a week and you could even purchase a bottle of Arno Bay Tourist Park Shiraz for a very reasonable price. It had even won a medal in the Arno Bay Wine Show. We got sucked in … and it wasn’t too bad! There was even had a taxi. It could have been a sack truck with a taxi sign attached … and showed little evidence of having been hailed lately. (Sorry no photo to confirm)



But the real hidden treasure was the Mangrove board walk across the tidal inlet feeding the mangrove swamp. The wetland was in pristine conditions. At the time we saw it, the tide was rising and the floodwaters rushing to fill the sandy creek beds. Unlike most wetland of this type, there were places along the board walk that were specifically designed to encourage fishing.



A casual walk along the beach took you back to the caravan park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Pigface in full bloomPigface in full bloom
Pigface in full bloom

Just for you Z.
Clean Seas. Visible but out of reach.Clean Seas. Visible but out of reach.
Clean Seas. Visible but out of reach.

This is where they propagate their Kingfish prior to grow-out in sea-cages.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb