Port August to Coober Pedy


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coober Pedy
April 11th 2011
Published: April 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monday 11th April
Travelled from Port Augusta to road site overnight stay at Bon Bon (164klms from Cooper Pedy) - very basic and close to the road but did the job. We were up early the next morning and only a couple of hours drive into Coober Pedy - booked into the Opal Inn Caravan Park for 2 nights - nice little park but a little cramped for parking of the caravan but right in town and easy to walk around. $27 per night with Top Tourist discount. 20c for 4 minute shower but water very good and hot.
This is an amazing place with over 85% of residents living in the under ground homes - the temperature underground between 20 - 25 degrees all year round (it can hit the 40 to 50 degress above ground). Visited The Old Timers Museum, hand picked underground mine and underground house. This was an amazing tour as it gave us an idea of the working conditions in the early days before machines were used. The underground house was lived in until about the 1980's. Our indiginous friends are everywhere and very vocal, one even knocking on our caravan door and asking for a sandwich.
We also visited the Underground Serbian Church which had been dug out with a machine and was just amazing with a wonderful carving in the upstairs area.
Tuesday 12 April
Visited Tom's Working Mine - quite different from the Old Timers Museum as this mine was mainly cut out by machine so the tunnel were much larger and even but still a great tour. This mine is still being worked today and they sell some of their opals in their shop.
Cooper Pedy is so interesting that I have taken way too many photos but I will try and cull them to add to the blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

4 Photo 54 Photo 5
4 Photo 5

View from caravan door Bon Bon overnighter


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb