DAY 18 COOBER PEDY


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Coober Pedy
June 26th 2022
Published: June 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

1 500 000 … that’s, One Million Five Hundred Thousand … that’s how many opal shafts have been dug since opal mining began in and around Coober Pedy. Advice, don’t get drunk and wander off.

Coober Pedy means, “White Man in a Hole”. The area has over 70 fields, the largest opal mining area in the world producing 85% of the world’s opals. Its surrounds look moon-like (not that I’ve visited the moon … yet) with the landscape dotted with shafts and mullock heaps. CP lies on the edge of the erosional scarp of the Stuart Ranges, on beds of sand and siltstone 30m deep, topped with a stony, treeless desert. Due to the regions very low rainfall, a modern water desalination plant using reverse osmosis process, produces frsh drinking water for all … however … conservation of usage is greatly encouraged. About 50% of the population live in underground homes called ‘dugouts’. They escape the heat of summer and the cold desert nights, maintaining a comfortable temperature ranging from 19 to 25 degrees C, day and night throughout the year.

We enjoyed a slow ‘getting ready’ for the day. Washing was completed and replenishment of supplies at the local IGA was accomplished, However the highlight was the 70km round trip through the Conservation Park to take in the spectacularly beautiful and picturesque escarpment of “Kanku-Breakaways” and Dog Fence. We travelled mid-afternoon as it had been recommended to experience the area at sunset. We did. The drive back to camp was in the dark so the new and powerful spotties that I had installed came to the fore on the dirt track.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement
















Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb