Loved exploring the Flinders Ranges


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Clare
May 8th 2010
Published: May 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi everyone from Crystal Brook, at the southern edge of the Flinders Range
We've just had a hectic 3 days exploring the Flinders in perfect weather. We stayed 2 nights at Hawker, and drove to Wilpina Pound, did the Moralena Scenic Drive and the 4WD tracks through the Parachilna, Bunyeroo and Brachina Gorges. We drove to many lookouts and climbed to one. Some of the views were amazing. In places there were lots of locquists, which splattered our windscreen and the front of the car. When we got back to the van, we watched sparrows eating them, especially the ones around the wheels! Chris will have a big job cleaning the car when we get back to Adelaide.
Today , we drove south, through Quorn and down the secondary roads. We had lunch at the amazing Hancock Lookout, with super views out over the Spencer Gulf. We could see from Pt Augusta around to Whyalla. We continued on through the Southern Flinders to Crystal Brook. Tomorrow we head back to Adelaide, to get sorted before we fly back to NZ for 3 weeks.
Before the Flinders, we had 2 nights at Moonta Bay, and explored the 3 copper triangle towns nearby - Moonta, its museum, and ruins of copper mining days, Kadina and Wallaroo. Wallaroo, where the ferry leaves from to go to the Eyre Peninsula is becoming quite trendy, with canal developments, and new waterfront developments including ramps, marina and new ferry loading area. We saw a boat at the wharf there loading more grain.
After that , we headed north, stopping at most of the main towns on the way. We continued on to Port Germein for a night, which we had had recommended, with the longest wooden jetty in Australia. There, we at last had a go at crabbing - we borrowed some crabnets from the caravan park ($2 ea), and did some fishing as well. Unfortunately, the dark and cold beat us - it was no point going out on the jetty until after 4.30pm as the tide was too far out. As we walked out the long jetty, the tide was just starting to come in over the mud flats. Chris got 2 blue swimmer crabs to keep, the others were too small, and I managed to catch a salmon trout on the rod. It was interesting trying , and I was happy! It got so dark we couldn't see what we were doing (we forgot the torch), so we had to give it away just as the crabs were more plentiful.
Look forward to catching up with some of you soon
Regards
Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

some creeks had watersome creeks had water
some creeks had water

We forded some of them.
ParachilnaParachilna
Parachilna

This area is used for quite a few movies.
KangarooKangaroo
Kangaroo

Lept the grid on the road in front of us
Jarvis Hill LookoutJarvis Hill Lookout
Jarvis Hill Lookout

we climbed this one
Tractor for sale at KadinaTractor for sale at Kadina
Tractor for sale at Kadina

12 wheels, just the thing! What about it, Mike, Cameron and Tony?
Happy fishingHappy fishing
Happy fishing

Port Germein jetty


11th May 2010

Tractor
Can you bring that tractor back with you please??

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb