Fowlers Bay to Ceduna


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Ceduna
August 17th 2014
Published: August 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Fowlers Bay to Ceduna

Leaving Fowlers was a bit like leaving ‘old friends’ and Trish and I both made the comment that this was not the last time we would come here. Although we now had the Whales, and the purpose of this trip behind us, before we get home to Echuca we still have a lot more to see and do.

Heading back to the Eyre Highway we only had 60 odd Klm to go before we reached Penong. Penong is a small community about 80 klm west of Ceduna and scattered around Penong are dozens of windmills that pump water from the Anjutabie Water Basin to all the homes and businesses. This water is supplemented by the use of rain water and water is also carted by truck, when needed, from a reticulated water supply connected to the Tod River pipeline some 15 kilometres east of Penong. Now the last time we were here we went into the General Store (as we do in most towns) just to be sociable, say ‘Hi’ and maybe if we liked what we saw, buy something, (usually a coffee milk!). On this particular visit, it was like stepping back in time, stuff everywhere, unkempt and two brothers that were memorably ‘rude’ behind the counter. The experience last time was ‘different’ and we wanted to see if it was still the same so we called in, but, walking up to the shop we both noticed and commented..”they have painted the outside!”. On walking inside….wow! The little store has had a complete makeover and looked great. Yes, new owners, the Brothers had ‘done a runner’, and now the little store was a pleasure to be in and Susie, (I hope this is right!!), who now owns the store was cheerful, happy to see us, chat to us, and helpful. Call in and see her, these little stores not only need the locals to survive and prosper, and, you may learn something about the area as she is a local farmer’s wife.

From Penong it was a short hop into Ceduna, but just west of the town you have to go through the quarantine check point to declare all your fruit and veges. Now here is a tip for those of you that are only going to the HOB, Fowlers Bay, or another destination east of the WA border and then returning back
Ceduna.Ceduna.Ceduna.

Looking down towards the Jetty.
east. Declare your trip on the way west through the check point and you will get a pass for your return journey so that the fruit and veges, that you probably purchased initially in Ceduna, and are left over from your trip, will not be taken off you.

Ceduna, an interesting and quite vibrant town, (when you delve below the surface), is our next stop. Last time we stayed out at Shelly Beach (and loved it!) but this time we wanted to try in town and stayed at the Ceduna Foreshore Caravan Park, another great choice and spot to stay in Ceduna. From here we could walk the town, the new Coastal Walking Trail between the town and the Port at Thevenard, and the jetty at sunset. We would also recommend a visit to the Ceduna Aboriginal Arts and Culture Centre where we were told about their great cultural educational program for the younger generations. The artwork on display showed some unique techniques and it was with difficulty we walked out without buying more art!

A trip to Ceduna is not complete without a trip out to the Port at Thevenard and Pinky Point Lookout and whilst out
Ceduna.Ceduna.Ceduna.

Trish and the Ceduna Jetty reaching out into Murat Bay with Thevenard in the background.
there you just have to go and see Baldy, (Pete), at Baldy’s Fresh and Frozen, a seafood wholesaler. (see our last travelblog MikeandTrishV.travelblog.Ceduna). Baldy is full of chat and info and has great fresh fish and oysters at very competitive prices. Again we purchased beautiful fresh King George Whiting fillets and oysters ($12/doz opened). Thanks Pete, again your hospitality and produce was fantastic..we will be back! Ceduna is a great stopover and as we said earlier once you look around and get amongst the locals there is a lot to see and do here…get amongst it and enjoy the atmosphere of Ceduna, and, don’t forget to say ‘Hi’ to Baldy for us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Ceduna.Ceduna.
Ceduna.

Thevenard and Pinky Point. Look at the amount of seafreight that leaves this remote port.
Ceduna.Ceduna.
Ceduna.

A must do on our itinerary, Baldy's Fresh and Frozen Seafood Wholesalers. Call in and see Pete (Baldy).
Ceduna.Ceduna.
Ceduna.

Sunset from our site in the Foreshore Caravan Park.
Ceduna.Ceduna.
Ceduna.

Sunset.
Ceduna.Ceduna.
Ceduna.

Ceduna Jetty.
Ceduna.Ceduna.
Ceduna.

The Jetty structure.


17th August 2014
Ceduna.

Great Photo!
Fantastic shot!
18th August 2014
Ceduna.

Thank you!
Nice Camera!

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb