G'day from Ceduna


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Ceduna
June 5th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have had a second day at Ceduna, mainly because storms are expected on the Nullarbor and so we thought we'd be better off here than there. The sky is darkening so no doubt we'll have some heavy rain tonight - it's certainly needed.

When we were walking around Ceduna yesterday we saw the Australian and Aboriginal flags flying at half-mast. Today there was a huge funeral where cars were banked up on all roads leading to the cemetery. Three teenagers were killed in a car crash just out of Ceduna - the car was stolen and doing 160 kph but evidently the deaths affected the town quite a bit.

The caravan park here is 3km out of town and on Shelly Beach, just behind the big sandhill. Ceduna is quite an up to date town, the usual silos and jetty on the waterfront and most things available in the shops. As this will be our last big town for awhile, we've been stocking up, although we'll have to par-cook our vegetables to get them past the checkpoint at the border. We also had to buy a new electric jug as ours was making very strange noises as sounded like it was on the way out.

To fill in our day today, we visited the lady who's flyer was on the park's laundry notice board. She saves wildlife found injured - mostly wombats who have been struck by cars or baby wombats who's mothers have been found dead and the baby still alive in the pouch. She also had a baby joey and some thorny dragon lizards she was nursing back to health.

She does all this in her home - she and her husband have set up heated boxes and pouches for them all. We were able to nurse baby and larger wombats and stroke the joey, who was rather nervous and wouldn't pose for a photo. She was a wonderful lady doing at great job and only exists on donations. Bob Irwin, Steve's Dad had been there a few days beforehand and written in her visitor's book.

Although SA in half an hour behind the eastern states, our television shows seem to be coming from Queensland as the shows are on Q'ld time. All the ads are for Alice Springs, Mt. Isa or Katherine so I feel I'm getting to know their shops and what's on special there!

Tomorrow, weather permitting, we'll begin our trek across the Nullabor. I'm hoping we'll see whales from one of the lookouts over the Bight.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb