Mildura to Burra


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Burra
August 9th 2014
Published: August 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Morgan Morgan Morgan

Houseboats on the Murray River at Morgan
We are on a ‘mission’ to get across to the Head of Bight to see the Whales so our trip leads us out of Mildura to Renmark passing lots of citrus, grape (both wine and table) as well as more Almonds and other fruit orchards along the way. What an amazing country…just add water and everything changes, you just need the water (licence) and the where with all to pay for it!...oh a market to sell the produce into helps as well!! Across into SA we head via Berri on to Waikerie where the local footy side was taking on Loxton. This corner of SA I think you could spend quite some time in based from a park on the Murray at Paringa. Wineries, cafes, foodies, scenery..it is all here in one tight little corner; this is now down as a ‘must do’ long weekend from home.

From Waikerie we head across to Cadell to join the road up to Burra. Anyone new to this area has to have the Overland Corner Hotel and Morgan on their list of places to see in this part of the world. The Historic Overland Corner Hotel was originally a watering hole for Drovers and overlanders as well as a temporary camping ground for paddlesteamers passing through on the River Murray. Erected in 1859, it has served as a staging point, a general store, a police station and even the local Post Office. The pub now stands as a beacon of history in the Riverland, and operates as a hotel, serving a good cold beer and food.

Morgan was once one of the busiest South Australian Murray River ports. The town is located on what is often referred to as the Great Bend, the Great Elbow, or more prosaically, North-west Bend on the Mighty Murray. Preserving a lot of the historic buildings the town picturesque and a great photo stop. There is reasonable shopping supplies and two good hotels. The town caters predominantly to tourism these days being popular with travellers for the history and watersports enthusiasts for the river.

And then we get to Burra… ah yes, one of our perennial favourites and the gateway to the Flinders Ranges in my book. We stayed here the night and we will spend a bit more time on Burra in another blog on our return from ‘The Whales"


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

BurraBurra
Burra

A favourite destination of ours when anywhere near this part of Sth. Aust.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb