Australia - Delectable Delights


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Barossa Valley
January 8th 2012
Published: January 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today is January 8thand I am trying to stay dry! We are on Bintan Island, Indonesia, but that is for another blog. It feels as though the last three weeks were a whirlwind of activity, adventure and exploration. We experience nearly every mode of transportation available as we explored Australia.



After returning home from Cairns, it was time to explore the city of Melbourne by bus, train and trolley! What a beautiful city! Downtown Melbourne is situated on the mouth of the Yarra River. A cruise down the river gave us a ducks-eye-view of this beautiful, cosmopolitan city, including a short visit to historic Williamstown. Melbourne is a city of contrasts. Tall skyscrapers are flanked by historic landmarks and well preserved buildings. There is a vibrant Chinatown and an Italian precinct that is known for it’s delectable Italian Cuisine.



After a long day of wandering the streets of Melbourne we wandered down to Lygon Street, to experience the feel of this little Italy. We weren’t disappointed! Lygon Street is several blocks lined with Italian eating establishments, each trying to entice you to try their uniquely delicious cuisine. We finally settled on a restaurant…. (It may have been the free bottle of wine they offered) Lucas had a hankering for Osso Bucco to go with our free bottle of wine. The waiter was grand! He was an aspiring musician and we loved his flare. The wine was cold and tasty and it was great fun sitting on the street watching the people go by. Unfortunately the food left much to be desired. After two tries at the Osso Bucco, we gave up and settled for the antipasto platter and the wine. It was perhaps the least expensive meal we experienced in Melbourne.



Did I mention – my brother Rodd loves the horses? Well he is quite the gambler, spreadsheets and all. A talented computer programmer, he is able to take actual statistics, and information from the odds makers to identify “potentially lucrative” bets. He introduced Lucas and I to horse betting in Palm Beach at the local TAB (Totalizing Agency Board or betting shop) and then again at the races at Moonie Ponds. What fun! For us that is! Lucas and I would follow our intuition, listen to our “inner voice” and place a bet. At the end of the day we were about $80.00 ahead. It would be rude to compare this to Rodd’s winnings…



Despite the addictive nature of betting…. We were not completely taken! Oh No! We have another favourite vice! You guessed it! Wine! And we were in the middle of some of the best wine country in the world. After “tasting” betting, the four of us loaded up in the car for the long drive to the Barossa Valley and some amazing wines. Having a sommelier in the family has its advantages, particularly when you share a similar passion for good wine. Armed with a fistful of recommendations from Daniel and a wine tour map, we set off to beat the previous Barossa Valley wine tasting record, held by Daniel, Kelsey and Lucas of 21 wineries. Alas that record still stands…. We settled for 7 wineries in two days and still tasted some of the best wines that ever graced this palate. For those of you looking for recommendations….



Kellermeister Winery – We stopped there for driving directions and discovered a real gem! Not just the wine but also a young man named Henry who knew wine, and knew the area. He gave us a couple of great recommendations. Including….



Taste of Eden – A wine studio representing a number of small-unknown wineries from the nearby Eden Valley.



Torbreck and Saltram Wineries – Two of Daniel’s outstanding recommendations that did not disappoint.



By the time we arrived at Barossa Valley Wines for lunch and Hentley Farm Winery all the wine was beginning to taste the same to these amateur sommeliers.



The Barossa Valley tour ended with a drive back to Melbourne via the Great Ocean Road so that I could experience some of Australia’s majestic coastline.



Half the fun of wine tasting is the people you meet and the country you see, so Lucas and I borrowed a car and headed to the Yarra Valley to try some “cooler climate’ wines. No records were broken on this trip either, but we had a blast. We found a quaint little cottage to stay in Healesville with a beautiful garden. We spent our day tasting and collecting goodies for an impromptu, romantic dinner in the garden. Our favourite stop was Domain Chandon. The famous House of Chandon brought their incomparable champagne making skills to Australia. Here we enjoyed a delicious charcuterie platter and a flight of Australian sparkling wine. I love bubbles…No trip to the Yarra Valley would be complete without seeing the Healesville Animal Sanctuary, where we experienced Australia’s animal friends.



Our time on the Australia mainland ended with a beautiful family Christmas celebration. Lucas, Jo Anne and I put together Christmas lunch that involved the traditional turkey and ham with a side of oysters and prawns. We gathered with Jo Anne’s family for a day full of love and gratitude. We were also able to reach out and connect with most of our gang… so it certainly felt like a family Christmas. The other surprise came by the way of Mother Nature, when she launched a full fledge storm on us. Thunder, lightning, wind and so much hail that it looked at times like a white Christmas. Fortunately all came and went safely, despite some flooding and downed trees.



Next stop Tasmania! Until then......



Make sure you scroll down to the bottom for more pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Torbreck Wineries Hmmmm GoodTorbreck Wineries Hmmmm Good
Torbreck Wineries Hmmmm Good

We tasted a $700.00 bottle of Shiraz!


10th January 2012

Hi!
Hey you two. Great pictures and much fun to read about your adventures. Keep on having fun...even when you get back.

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb