Ceduna to Barossa Valley to Robe


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Barossa Valley
November 4th 2008
Published: November 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Oct 26
Ceduna to Elliston
Farmland on one side and the ocean on the other. Amazing what they grow in the sand.
Large grain silos at Streaky Bay. Nice scenic little town.
The scenic road from Streaky Bay to Seale Bay/Point Labatt was not sealed all the way, gravel was rough so we turned back.
Stayed at Waterloo Bay Caravan Park in Elliston. Walked the town, which was very quiet and the businesses quite spread out. Drove a 12km scenic drive loop with Sculptures along the way. Really very nice, beautiful scenery of the ocean, cliffs and beaches.
Ford still makes a Falcon here!!

Oct 27
Elliston to Wallaroo
The 91km from Elliston to Lock was a very quiet drive. 2 other vehicles, going the opposite direction. There must be some combining being done because we saw a couple of trucks hauling to the elevator (silos). Saw a small windmill farm along the way.
Took the ferry from Lucky Bay to Wallaroo. The water was a bit choppy, but the trip across was 2 hours and uneventful. Except that a search and rescue Albatros airplane flew buy us, at ‘treetop’ level.

Oct 28
Wallaroo to Barossa (Tanunda)
16 degrees in the morning. But the wind makes it a lot cooler. Somewhat like the winds in The Pass. Got settled into our caravan park then visited a couple wineries. Wolfe Blass and another that had a quilting shop!!!

Oct 29
Tanunda
Walked from the caravan park to the CBD and around. Had lunch at Peter Lehmann wineries along with tasting some of their wine, then finished off at Cockatoo Ridge Cellar.

Oct 30
Tanunda
Spent a bunch of time on the internet at the Library. Free!!. Then did some more wine tastings. Yalumba, Penfolds and Bethany wineries. Had an enjoyable tea (supper) at a place called The Clubhouse.
We saw a couple of possums in the caravan park. In fact one of the young ones got stranded up the wrong tree by our site. He stayed there all day and came down some time during the night.

Oct 31
Travel day to Robe. Cold, Cloudy, Windy and sometimes a bit of rain.
Crossed the great Murray River.

15993.0km so far. And less than 4 weeks to go. One of those will be spent in the Brisbane area visiting friends and my brothers daughter-in-law and his two grandsons.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb