Adelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
March 13th 2015
Published: March 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We knew we had a long journey to reach the Barossa valley so Lyn took a turn at the wheel covering the first couple of hours to Meningie. Approaching Adelaide was easy as the roads developed into dual carriageway although the speed limit remained at 110 km/hr. The journey turned nore difficult when we turned off from the Barossa Valley. We seemed to cross so many other roads as we travelled around the outskirts of the city. However the trip was worth while when we found, our hotel. A great room with balcony overlooking fields of grapevines. Each evening before dinner a local winery gives a tasting session in the hotel. Tonight it was the turn of Blue Rock, a small concern that does not export. I was fascinated by their Black Velvet Shiraz that includes 3% white grape to give it a stronger acidity. Lyn seemed to like them all.



We ordered a meal in our room that evening so we could enjoy the view right through past sunset



Next morning the sun was pouring into the room. At 9am it was almost too hot to sit on the balcony. As the drive to our Adelaide city centre hotel would only take an hour we set off to a couple more wineries. First was McGuigan only to find that they had sold their South Australia interests to 1847, so we went on to Jacobs Creek where we learnt a lot about the different grapes and wines. We ate some Shiraz grapes that were picked early that morning. They were delicious in their own right it was almost a shame to crush them. Lyn took a fancy to a pink sparkling Moscatoso we bought a bottle for the evening dinner party with relatives.



We found the hotel and then dropped off the hire car. In a polite fashion the receptionist at Avis asked if his English customers needed any further help, like learning how to play cricket - England got humiliated at the Adelaide Oval the day before - don't we just love the antipodean sense of humour.



Cousin Debbie collected us from the hotel and took us to join her family at her bungalow just 8km away. We spent the evening swapping notes and engaging other relatives in Perth by Skype.



We were just able to wish grandson Henry a happy first birthday before the link to the Uk went poorly. For the record Debbie's husband Daryl is a Spurs supporter and was pleased to see Henry in kit on facebook.



Today, Thursday, we walked through the city to the Botanical Gardens and then visited Ayers House which is owned by the National Trust. They were pleased to entertain members of the English National Trust. Ayers was a self made man who made most of his money from Copper mining. He became Premier of South Australia and Uluru was renamed after him. We took the guided tour around his house with one other guest who was from Christchurch, England, a near neighbour you might say.



We finished the day with a boat trip down the River Torrens



Tomorrow the Red Centre adventure begins

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb