Adelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
February 26th 2011
Published: February 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We then started to drive towards Adelaide but we were not able to make it all the way in one go. We therefore stopped off at Murray Bridge, a town formed around the first bridge to span the Murray River.

The next day started with what will hopefully turn out to be the most serious (really hoping so) and most costly (again really hoping so) tragedy of the entire trip. Not aided by the extremely inventive Australians who thought it would be really clever to name both the diesel and the unleaded petrol “Vortex” we managed to fill up our diesel tank with petrol. Fortunately Steph noticed when we went to pay. After contacting a local mechanic we were able to get the tank drained and be on our way, all the quicker due to our now lighter wallets.

When we arrived in Adelaide we quickly set up the campervan and went to do the walking tour suggested by the guide book. Adelaide is a rather odd place in that everything is set up in a quite small area making it a good place to see with little time. Unfortunately we were not aided by the heat that day and we returned to the campervan suitably worn out having had a good stroll (Steph did not get us lost) through the botanical gardens and then along the river and down the main street in Adelaide. We then returned for a quick dip in the much cleaner, and a bit warmer pool.

Despite what could have been a disastrous day we still manged to explore a new aspect of Aussie style campervaning. Nearly every caravan park, and most normal parks, come with free BBQ style gas powered hot plates to cook on. We therefore headed to one to cook a quick Chickpea burger.

The next day we went for anther look around Adelaide in the morning. We had a quick look around the Town Hall and the Post Office. I was a bit disappointed with the Post Office as it seemed to be a building with lovely grand style front and then you looked at it from the side and it was an ugly semi run down modern red brick building. We also had a look at some of the more interesting street art in Adelaide before grabbing lunch, again made on the free BBQ. We then left Adelaide and headed for Port Augusta, the so called gateway to the outback. Whilst it may be the gateway to the outback there did not seem to be too much to do there and, as we arrived quite late, we just set ourselves up and ate a quick meal. We did however, manage to get ourselves a nice spot, in a slightly shabby caravan site, with a good view over the sea and beach right behind our campervan.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb