Adelaide or Semaphore on the beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
January 9th 2011
Published: January 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We have decided to make this a short blog even though we did spend 10 days here. Ok, let’s start.

Two days were spent in Adelaide itself, one for shopping (the Myer Centre on Rundle mall is a copy of the Myer Centre on Queen St Mall in Brisbane, or vice versa) and one for sightseeing. We walked along the River Torrens past the zoo and into the Botanical Gardens before making our way back along the river to the Adelaide Oval (the place it all started to fall apart for the Aussies) and a tour of the Don Bradman museum.
Joke what do you get if you cross an Australian cricketer with an oxo cube?
Answer A Laughing Stock

Another day was spent driving up to the Adelaide Hills visiting the wooden toy factory at Gumeracha, that has the world’s biggest rocking horse. We came away with several toys for Steve’s grandson (or are they for Steve). Then we drove on to Hahndorf, a great little town full of charm and character.

A visit to Victor Harbor down on the south coast and a ride on the horse-drawn tram to Granite Island is well worth the drive. However we were a little disappointed with McLaren Vale, apart from the wine we purchased at the Visitor Centre. This full bodied Shiraz at 16% proof was aptly named “Overloaded” (sorry, McLaren Vale is between Adelaide and Victor Harbor so we called in on our way back).

Adelaide’s most popular beach at Glenelg was very nice but for us a little too busy. Couldn’t move for bronzed teenagers in bikinis and board shorts, and screaming kids. (Steve stopped screaming as soon as he got his ice-cream).

Well that’s about it for Adelaide. The rest of our stay we watched the hundreds of rabbits at the caravan park dig up the grass, strolled along the beach to Semaphore, visited Port Adelaide and carried out some much needed maintenance before heading to Nurioopta in the Barossa Valley for Christmas and New Year.

All in all we thought Adelaide to be a very liveable city contrary to what we had been told.

Hope you have all recovered from the festivities, in our next blog we will bring you details of our time in the Barossa, that’s just as soon as we remember.

For those in Queensland we hope that the rain stops, and you can start to dry out



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb