To Infinity & Beyond (Nullabor Plain)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
January 1st 2011
Published: January 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

To Infinity and Beyond (Nullabor Plain)
Boxing Day and we're off again, we're all pretty excited as today we tackle the start of the Nullabor, unfortunately this means back tracking 120km to Esperance first where we restock, and turn North. There was few remarkable things on the Nullabor Drive, Lachlan calls it the Dullandboring Plains. There is a lot of miles a few roadhouses with petrol as dear as $1.76 per litre and not much else, the highlights were as follows.
1.The longest straight road in Australia, 146.7km without a corner, this was exciting for about 15 minutes and then it was long, straight and flat for an hour and fifteen minutes. I always promised myself that one day I'd cross the Nullabor with a big car at 200km/hr, I did at 100km/hr on the nose.
2.Our second night, we camped 100km west of the border (still windy) but we laid the kids beds out under the stars and watched the satellites and then the shooting stars. Lachlan and Zali saw their first ever shooting stars and we had a really nice night.
3.We crossed the border!!!!!
4.The Great Australian Bight and the magnificent Bunda Cliffs. This place is amazing and almost worth the drive across on it's own, loved it here but it's a bit nerve wracking with kids.
5.The Treeless Plain, a section of the Nullabor that must be about 50km wide or just a bit more, dead flat and not a single tree as far as the eye can see in any direction. Bizarre and strangely interesting, for about ten minutes, then flat and boring.
6.Ceduna!! Although we pushed hard and straight through the town to Streaky Bay, Ceduna marked the end of the Nullabor and our last long drive for our trip around Australia.


Advertisement



1st January 2011

We need to try and hook you up ....
..... with 'the Pootling Possums'! I'm not sure when they are starting their journey for the west coast but we'll try and let you know. Thank you, thank you, thank you for updating your blog - it's great to read all about your adventures. I'm now switching to your website to check out the photos! Happy New Year to you all x
5th January 2011

raaaiiinnnn
Hey mate It's raining, oh the blessed relief!!! Just wanted to let u know we're reading ya blog. It's great to keep track. And fun: 15 yrs - hahahahahaa

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 55; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb