Radelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
February 27th 2009
Published: March 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

South Australia's license plate reads: 'The Festival State,' which it would seem is right on the money. Summer here is awash with festivals, events, street parties and sporting events, including the jewel in the city’s crown the Clipsal 500 (V8 Supercars racing through the Adelaide CBD).
Carissa and I have enjoyed finding ourselves smack bang in the middle of it all and are sad to be leaving this vibrant part of the world.
Despite some soaring temperatures, we have managed to get around and see a lot of Adelaide and its surrounds, including the Barossa, Adelaide Hills and Glenelg’s friendly beaches, which were a welcome relief from the plus 40 degree heat.
I have enjoyed my work providing temporary fencing in and around the city for some of the larger events Adelaide has played host to, including the Tour Down Under, The Big Day Out, the Adelaide Fringe Festival, and Womadelaide. The Big Day Out might actually be better referred to as the Big Work Out. Working installing temporary fencing for the event was an insight into the logistical undertaking festivals of this size require. Two thousand panels later and some extremely late nights, the event was considered a success. This
Tour Down UnderTour Down UnderTour Down Under

Lance is in there somewhere
was judged by the smiles on the punters faces as they spilled out into the night at the end of a very long day.
Carissa has been working in a private hospital in Burnside and has enjoyed the variety this type of work has provided. We have both been keeping fit as the tree lined streets of Adelaide made for great walking and cycling. I even managed to cycle the 20km up to Mount Lofty Lookout a number of times taking advantage of the dedicated bike track which almost started right at our door.
The other feature I must point out about Adelaide is the fantastic Central Market located in Chinatown within the heart of the CBD. The market soon become a mainstay for all of our groceries and also provided an excuse to try out many of the cheap and fantastic restaurants dotted throughout the city. One particular favourite was Dumpling King well worth a visit if you’re down that way.
We were able to play host towards the end of our stay to my mum and sister, who flew down for the weekend. Their timing couldn't have been better and we were able to squeeze in the Fringe Festival, Film Festival, Norwood Food & Wine Festival, and Tropfest all into one fun-filled weekend.
Carissa and I are sad to be leaving Adelaide but looking forward to our next destination, Victor Harbour, a beautiful coastal town located an hour south of Adelaide on the Fleurieu Peninsula. I was stoked to learn of the fantastic surf beaches down that way and our digs are located a short walk from the water.

Until next time Hoo Roo



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Atop Mount LoftyAtop Mount Lofty
Atop Mount Lofty

Overlooking Adelaide


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb