Adelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
June 22nd 2007
Published: June 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

The morning gave us the opportunity to grab the free bus and get the lay of the land. Adelaide is a perfect example of someone really doing a great job of laying out a straight forward grid system with prominent "squares," but....traffic engineers have managed to make a mess of it with one way streets and no turn designations. Anyway, we're really likeing the AUS cities. they have a lot of character and plenty to do. And they have an amzing amount of greenspace that really gets used. The free bus system lets us tourist get a handle on things.

Off to the Botanical garden. I really enjoyed seeing all the classes of kids in the gardens and they were all wearing hats. This garden is only a couple of years newer than Melbourne..they are celebrating 150 years. Trees continue to fascinate and the bird watching is great. The Galah is the grey and red birds that are seen as a pest and even their pigeons are dressed up with a crest.

We walked the North Adelaide suburb with it's renovated houses and beautiful churches. The houses all see to have similar aspects, stone and brick, lots of iron work and the wrap around porch with the curved eaves. We walked around the inside of the church...the little old ladies were so pround of their church.

They have a business district similar to Virginia Highlands in ATL., so we strolled around and stopped at a pub for some beer and grub. (Lynn, we may get Ruth drinking these dark ales) I guess I'm in a little of a funk...what are people going to be taking pictures of 150 years from now that we are designing and building today...I think the new performing arts complex on the riverfront is pretty sorry. The riverfront development consists of apprx 35 KM of biking and walking paths...the complex was a missed opportunity.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



25th June 2007

Really have been enjoying all your travels. I sometimes wish we were with you. You make it all seem so life like.
1st December 2007

Fab!
Some fab photos and a nicely informative description of Adelaide - than you!

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0858s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb