Goodbye to the Coorong and the Limestone Coast, back to Adelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
February 15th 2018
Published: February 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast this morning we had one last drive around to the two lakes, and then set off on our long drive back to Adelaide.

Our first stop was the Roman Catholic precinct in Penola, where Mary MacKillop of the Cross (one of our distant relatives) started her first school and set up the first convent for the Sisters of St Joseph.

We then continued on our drive through the Coonawarra and Padthaway vineyards (so many hectares of grapevines) stopping again at Naracoorte for Tom to explore one of their many caves. They also had statues of wombats and kangaroos the size they were thousands of years ago. I had a latte in the coffee shop while Tom did his cave tour, and found many courageous blue fairy wrens hopping around on the tables searching for tidbits.

Time to return to our long drive back to Adelaide, and finding our accommodation - oh dear, Tom got his way with this one didn’t he? A very cheap ($100/night) 1960s pub with untouched 1960s motel rooms out the back. It’s a very nice setting with a huge lawned area between us and the beer garden, and only minutes away from the airport.

They gave us a little breakfast box each containing a pot of fruit, a fruit juice, cereal, plastic bowl, milk and spoon. Very snazzy. So, chicken schnitty topped with prawns, asparagus and brie for dinner - very nice.

Tomorrow we’re just catching the plane home, so I’ll make this the last blog entry till mid June - until then xx ?


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb