The Long Ride


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
February 9th 2018
Published: February 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Long RideLong RideLong Ride

C.O. settling in well.
9/2/18

Early muster this morning saw us checking out of our Adelaide hotel at 06.30. The promised discount at check in, did not appear to be carried through to check out. After some discussion, we got the discount anyway. Our ordered taxi arrived and took us to the railway station which is not the one that we originally thought was round the corner as that one is now a casino. Checked in with Overlander reception and waited in the very pleasant lounge. The C.O.'s plan was to let the train take us in a leisurely way to Melbourne whilst we watched the countryside roll past us and observed the changing landscapes. We showed our passports before boarding and as we took our designated seats, the plan encountered an immediate snag - there was no window!! The C.O. took this problem to the hostess staff and was able to be resolved by us changing seats thereby avoiding a potentially ugly situation. So we settled down for the journey. The carriage is well appointed and luxurious with loads of leg room. The deal we had was for all food and non alcoholic drinks to be provided f.o.c.

The scenery rolled past
Long RideLong RideLong Ride

Some of the scenery
and rolled past and rolled past and rolled past. The journey is 828 km. and takes 10.5 hours. The countryside is mainly used for arable farming with very large fields. The harvest had been done and the straw bales were occasionally scattered about the fields. There was much excitement if something (e.g. a sheep) moved. The scenery was not unpleasant but a lot of the same. The Overlander brochure helpfully points out some key attractions to look out for on the way, which included the birthplace of Bob Hawke and 25 wind turbines. As we passed the border between South Australia and Victoria we were reminded to reset our timepieces by 30 minutes.??

We arrived in Melboune at 18.50 and wrestled our hand luggage onto a tram and got to the apartment at 19.30. The journey was relaxing and comfortable but it is not one that is likely to be repeated.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Long RideLong Ride
Long Ride

An interesting grain silo??
Long RideLong Ride
Long Ride

C.O. over excited.


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb