Off to Adelaide - Most liveable city in Australia!


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide » Glenelg
April 8th 2017
Saved: August 31st 2019
Edit Blog Post

A day of travel. At the airport, if any luggage is overweight, there is a $15 per kg charge. Tucked into a corner we do a repack of all 4 suitcases. Once at the gate, it is the same scenario with our backpacks, so the exchange continues.

Arriving in Adelaide, there is almost a sigh of relief from both of us as it is a much smaller city at 1.5 million versus the 5.5 million population back in Sydney. Lovely wide boulevards, a quiet downtown surrounded by parks, and several public squares makes for a very liveable city. In fact, in 2015, The Economist Intelligence Unit listed Adelaide as one of the top 10 most liveable cities in the world. During the night, the wind is howling, and in the morning, I ask Chris if we are in Pincher Creek.

Watching a game of footy on the teli seems like it is a combination of football and soccer. Without the severe tackling, this looks to be the perfect solution to reducing the amount of head injuries in many sports. Formula One racing has often been hosted at this city, and you can view the drivers handprints within several concrete walls downtown.

In the morning, it is onto the tram to journey past colonial style homes crafted from quarry rock and/or bricks with tile roofs and welcoming porches out in the suburbs. The towering eucalyptus trees line the passageway to Glenelg. A long walk on the long pier makes us cold since the temperature is only 16 degrees celsius and there is a bitter wind, so we go searching for a cup of hot chocolate. For three days supper has continually led us to The General Havelock. When a meal is delicious, you just want more of the same. Last night was a divine tagine.

Adelaide is truly a liveable city. Reminds us a lot of the Okanagan, Adelaide Hills has some great wineries and the surrounding hills look very reminisent of the Okanagan Valley.

Great place, maybe we will return.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb