Langhorne to Adelaide


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide Hills
April 11th 2013
Published: April 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 11th

Today we left the great little camp (not to mention the great wineries) and headed for Adelaide.

We had seen on a map that there was a platypus sanctuary in the Adelaide Hills (not far from Mount Barker) and since we had not seen a living platypus, we gave Tom Tom some instructions to take us to the park.

The first turn off from the highway came up a bit quick as I had a truck right on my tail. However, our well mannered Tom realised after a couple of promptings that I couldn't 'Do a U Turn when possible' on a busy main road.

A short time later he gave us instructions which we followed diligently and crossed Mount Barker, then zig zagged our way through parts of South Australia rarely seen by mankind, and then informed us we had reached our destination. No signs, no sanctuary - nothing.

Frustrated Marg told Tommy to take us to the caravan park at Browns Creek, and so he continued our adventure in the hills. To soften the blow of missing platypus, he took us past a very cute 1850s stone cottage, down a couple of beautiful avenues of Acers in full autumn attire, past some cute Alpacas that ran to the fence to have their photos taken, onto the freeway and right to the camp.

A couple of teenagers from Melbourne entertained us in the afternoon riding their chick magnets (Unicycles) around the camp. The younger of the two (blonde) is very highly rated as a unicyclist, and his brother isn't to bad either. Well, that was until he tried to ride the tall unicycle. The photos are realistic, and even though he canned off, he landed on his feet suffering only a dent in his pride.

Once we set up camp etc, Marg searched again for the platypus sanctuary. Sadly it closed in March. All the other creatures have been relocated to another zoo, and the platypus, which required no human intervention for their support have been left in the stream to care for them selves with just minimal protection. Sob sob, that was on our bucket list. We have been to a number of places with platypus in their natural habitat. Maybe they are camera shy and hide as we approach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



12th April 2013

Unicycles
Now why didn't you try the little one Rob that would have made headlines!! Good shots once again. Good camera's aye!
12th April 2013

Enjoying
Hi Rob please keep your posts and photos coming enjoying very much those that you and Margaret are putting whilst we now cannot go there ourselves we are sure enjoying travelling along with you all. God Bless and Safe travels Brian and Maureen
10th May 2013

NZ?!
I see you went through Wellington!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb