Thursday Island - Wednesday 27th


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
May 27th 2015
Published: May 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Seisa to Thursday Island


Thursday Island bus stopThursday Island bus stopThursday Island bus stop

Waiting for the island tour bus
Hi all, today was a boat trip to Thursday Island. Thursday Island is the government administrative centre for the Torres straight Islands. We took a ferry at 8am and this took 1 hr 10mins and was 36km distance. Was a reasonably smooth ride until we got about half way. My granddaughter Olivia and my wife Tonina got seasick. Let me just say was an interesting ride for the second half of the ride to the island. On the way back we got them both doped up on seasick tablets. The island had a lot of world war 2 history and we went through the museum and up to the battery on top of one of the hills. We had morning tea, a bus tour as well a lunch in the Northern most pub in Australia. Seems like everything around here is the Northern most something. The service station here in Seisa reports that it is the Northern most service station. At $1,90 per litre for diesel who cares if it is the most Northern. Haha.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Japanese grave siteJapanese grave site
Japanese grave site

The island was a base for the pearl shell industr before and immediately after the Second World War. A lot of divers died trying to reach depths of up to 200 feet. We visited the graves of some of those divers and lot of whom were Japanese.
Tour busTour bus
Tour bus

Our tour bus was also the school bus and used for any other need on the island. The driver was an employee of the bus company who was also a mother of children at the local school and she was born on the island.
The most Northern Pub in AustraliaThe most Northern Pub in Australia
The most Northern Pub in Australia

Based on Thursday Island. We had lunch at this pub.
Crab and crayfish for snacks.Crab and crayfish for snacks.
Crab and crayfish for snacks.

We caught the crab from the beach next to our camp and the cray was a gift from one of the locals.
On the ferryOn the ferry
On the ferry

Hard at work making sure my energy levels are at their best.
Tracey and Cohen.Tracey and Cohen.
Tracey and Cohen.

Cohen is thinking, how old is Tracey, she can't even stay awake for an hour. We found out she wakes up grumpy. Hahahahaha
Time to remove the beardTime to remove the beard
Time to remove the beard

My beard had gone past the itchy stage but it was time to get rid of it. Cohen took a photo of me before I shaved.


28th May 2015

Keep up the great blog Tony
Tony you look like the Maltese version of Shaun Connery with the beard. Keep up the fantastic travel blog and take care. Steve
1st June 2015

TI
What a fantastic adventure you are having! I worked at our Thursday Island branch for a year in the mid 90s so your post was a great blast from the past.
1st June 2015

TI
Hi Kirsten, yes I walked past our Branch. A beautiful part of Australia. You must have felt so lucky to have been posted here to enjoy the country and get to understand the locals. We have been catching a lot of fish every day and basically giving them all to the locals. They love it.

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb