Our time at Cania Gorge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
January 15th 2013
Published: February 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We left Emerald on October 14th filled with great excitement as the Holiday Park at Cania Gorge QLD was to be home and work for the next few months. We had not been there before but did do some research on the Net and it looked like a fabulous place.

I have previously mentioned my disgust at the condition of the roads in QLD and when we turned off the highway on to the Cania Dam road it was again very disappointing. This road is better than a camel track but when you consider it leads you to Cania Gorge and its associated scenic walks as well as Cania Dam it needs improving and do be careful of roaming stock. These are possibly the 2 biggest attractions within a couple of hundred kilometres and a lot of the traffic on this at times one lane road are towing caravans, trailers, boats, etc.

Whilst there we went on a number of the beautiful walks but it really annoys the hell out of me when you arrive at a cave or other point of interest to find it has been vandalised with graffiti. And then we have littering, if someone takes drinks, lollies and cigarettes on these adventures why can’t they remove the rubbish and take it with them? Anyone, why?

The nearest town for shopping was Monto, it was not large but was friendly and had a good variety of shops and eateries. Not too far away the Mulgildie pub had a character all of its own. For a more substantial day at the shops it was off to Biloela about 100k’s away, here you could find almost anything you needed. Now when you live and work at the same place it is always nice to get away for a short break even if it is for just a day, so sometimes you would “look forward” to these little excursions. Yep I know it sounds crazy!

We enjoyed the work and the hours were long even more so during the Christmas Holiday period but unfortunately you don’t always reap what you sow. We worked with some great people – hi to Deb & Larry, Marj & Ray and Merri & Sandy. Often it is the people you meet that make travelling even more fun. It was a huge relief however ……….when we recently left.

It is now time for us to enjoy a little time off and head down to the Sunshine Coast so we can catch up with family and friends, get some work done on the car and sort out a few other bits and pieces. So it is time to wind up and I’ll talk again when I next have something to report.

Take care travel safe and remember it’s nice to important but it’s important to be nice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb