Tamborine Mountain


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
February 8th 2009
Published: March 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Having picked up the campervan (with a broken speedo!) we headed South to Tamborine Mountain, a volcanic plateau about 40km from the Goldcoast. The areas forests were declared Queenslands first national park in 1908 and provide great short (ish) jungle walks and stunning views. We'd been told about the area by Marcus and Eliza and were really pleased we spent a couple of days there. There arent many places to take a van but we stayed at the Thunderbird Park which was fine for the couple of days.

We donned our walking boots and after our first nights sleep in the van headed out on witches falls circuit and palm grove circuit. After stepping over snakes and walliby spotting (they really do thud through the jungle!) we enjoyed some of the breathtaking views from a lookout. Whilst the falls themselves were unimpressive (due to little rain fall recently) the jungle and panoramic views were well worth the trek.

Pete's encounter with one of the snakes left us both a bit shocked - as he froze it slithered along the path under his foot...! Mine was less dramatic in that I stepped over some leaves and noticed the snake raise up - both of them were dark green and about 4-5 foot long - we're told its the brown ones you need to worry about???

As we settled in for the night it started to rain (we're now convinced its following us!) and we realised that one side of the van gets a bit leaky... A few calls later to camperman and he agreed to set us up in a garage. just a warning to fellow travellers - he never returned those calls and we were left with broken speedo and a leaky window...Luckily Pete's quite handy and sorted the window temporarily. It's all good fun and wont spoil our trip. You get what you pay for at the end of the day and it was cheap...


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb