Where are the Dingos


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
December 29th 2003
Published: December 29th 2003
Edit Blog Post

Fraser GroupFraser GroupFraser Group

All of us with our 4WD!!
Beware of the Dingos, don't feed the dingos, walk in groups, summertime is when dingos are "boisterous and playful," Dingos are the wild dogs on Fraser Island. Now, I think seeing Dingos on Fraser Island is like seeing Aliens in Roswell, New Mexico because with all the hype, warnings, and signs about these animals, I didn't see one on my whole trip to Fraser Island.

The Fraser Island trip started out in Hervey Bay where I was put into a group of 4 Irish, 1 German, and 2 English lads from my hostel. The trip was a 3 day/2 night safari on Fraser Island where we traveled around the island in a 4WD camping, hiking, swimming, and a bit of Dingo watching. Once we hit the bottle shop and got our supplies, we all piled into the 4WD and set off to Fraser.

We did a lot of driving the first day in order to get to the campsite, but along the way we stopped at the famous shipwreck which was washed onto shore years ago. Also along the way Kieran supposedly saw a Dingo amongst the trees, but we didn't bother reversing as we thought we would see plenty more on the rest of our trip. Once we pitched our tents and organised our campsite, we started our BBQ...not your typical hamburgers and baked beans. After the grub and a few beers, we gathered around the fire to make the American camping dessert, smores. I was able to show some of my American traditions though we had to improvise with flavored marshmellows, bite-sized candy bars, and biscuits. Needless to say we all had seconds and felt a bit sick afterwards. THe ranger came by to warn us about the Dingos and how to avoid them when you encounter one, "Cross your arms, look them in the eyes, and walk backwards."

The next morning came and we saw huge Iguanas and a tarangula-like spider but not Dingos. We had a lot planned for the day but couldnt drive anywhere until low tide. While we were waiting we sun-bathed at the Champagne pools and cooled off in the water with the waves crashing against the rocks creating the champagne-like bubbles. While driving to our destinations, we saw the Pinnacles/colored-sand, the canyan, and stopped at Eli Creek floating down stream. I had a go at driving the 4WD on the beach but it didnt last too long.
Our next stop was my favorite spot, Lake Waddy. Even though it was a 2K hike, it was well worth it. Behind the lake were endless sand dunes. We all climbed to the top if the hill and acting like a playful 6 year-old running back down and jumping into the lake. After repeating this a couple of times, we figured it was time to make our way to the campsite before dark. It was our last night in Fraser and we spent it playing "never have I ever," number games, and categories. unfortuneately our night was cut short by the ranger and his back-up to quiet us down.

On the last day on Fraser we drove to Lake McKenzie, which was the largest freshwater lake on the island. The sand is so fine that you can exfoliate with it and all of us girls took advantage of this beauty luxury. Before getting onto the ferry to go back to Hervey Bay, I had to get one thing and that was a postcard of a Dingo!! SInce I didn't see or get a picture of a Dingo, I had to settle for a postcard of one. The Fraser Island trip came to an end and after being stranded at sea for 3 days and then on an island for another 3 days, I was ready to get back to civilization. i had the best time on Fraser Island makinmg some great friends, but all I have to say is "Where are the Dingos?!"


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb