Cairns, Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
June 15th 2007
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

June 15
Woke up early to meet Sam at the airport. Got the bus back into town and walked around while waiting to check into our room. Sam wanted to eat noodles at 8am in the morning, claiming it was lunchtime but it was more like 1am back home. Somehow I coped with stir fry for breakfast. In the afternoon we wandered around Cairns before having a nap for a few hours. In the evening we shared a curry with some friends I'd made on my Ayers Rock trip that happened to be staying at the same place as us.

June 16th
Woke up late and booked some activities for the following day. Sam was still quite jet lagged and didn't feel like doing much today, so sat around and enjoyed the mild weather. In the afternoon we bumped into Sophie Heron while walking around Cairns. We spent a while catching up on happenings and got plenty of recommendations for where to go in Australia.

June 17th
Took the skyrail to the rain forest village of Kuranda, stopping to do some rain forest board walks and to look at some waterfalls. Arrived in Kuranda and looked around a wildlife park and Sam paid to hold a Koala (and I snuck in for a sneaky photo too!). Saw some lizards and crocodiles before looking around a 'Most deadly creature' zoo, showing off the world's most poisonous creatures (Almost all of them are from Australia. Headed back to Cairns on the scenic railway line.

June 18th
Went out on a dive and snorkeling boat to the reef. We went to Hastings and Saxon reef. I was lucky with my diving and saw a few turtles and a reef shark. Unfortunately the photographer wanted $20 per photo, so I have none from underwater! Sam and I snorkeled while I wasn't diving. Towards the end of the day the weather deteriorated and became very bad, so they put an end to the snorkeling and motored back to Cairns, the weather making me feel very seasick (Luckily they were giving out ginger tablets to calm the stomach!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

CrocodilesCrocodiles
Crocodiles

Crikey, mate!
KoalaKoala
Koala

(Preparing to jump!)
Great Barrier ReefGreat Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef

Bad weather can't be photographed very well, it was much worse than it looks!


18th July 2007

Bad weather occasionally, but nice pics!
Love the look of the skyrail! And once again you've managed to get some high quality - good enough for travel brochure - kind of photos. Very nice!

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb