Clem Walton campground


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 20th 2021
Published: July 24th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Our plan for the next two nights was to camp at the ruins of Mary Kathleen township, but after speaking with one of the checkout ladies at the Mt Isa Coles supermarket we changed our mind and drove instead to the Clem Walton campground overlooking Corella Dam. It was a very short drive of just 60km heading east to this pretty and hugely popular free camp. The camp straddles both side of the dam and in the area we have chosen there are about 20 vans all nestled at the base of some rocky outcrops.



The scenery as we were driving along today across the Tropic of Capricorn was vastly different to that which we have encountered over the past few weeks. It was quite hilly to mountainous with very dense bushland. Red termite mounds are plentiful, right up to the roadside of the Barkly Highway.



Just east of Cloncurry the road changes name to the Landsborough Highway which heads south east and to the Flinders Highway travelling in an almost due east direction to Townsville on the coast. The two highways intersect with the Barkly Highways which is the only sealed road into theNorthern Territory fromQueensland.



We are taking the Flinders.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb