Bashville


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland
July 5th 2021
Published: July 17th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Dump Point √ Water √ Bashville here we come!



A very busy morning at both the dump point and the water tap; understandably everyone had the same idea, after all there is no opportunity out at Bashville. As with all the queues in Birdsville these two took their time to get through but it was very orderly with yet more great chatter.



The Bash site is on private property on the edge of the Simpson Desert – Adria Downs Station is a certified organic cattle property so it is a case of “you take it in, you bring it out”. No grey water or chemicals are allowed to hit the ground and all rubbish is to be disposed of back at the town rubbish tip. The station is 3million hectares in size and has been in the same family – Brook – for over 100 years.



Once at the main gate it was a slow moving convoy as everyone was directed to their very substantial sized camp site. We are in a very good spot along Burke & Wills Way (easy to remember) and a comfortable walk in the sand to the concert area, merchandise tent and the many food vendors. The are toilets just down a little way from where we are set up in section 41.



Now the toilets. I’ll start by saying that they have lovely soft close lids. It’s what happens under those lids that is the interesting bit. The toilet block has typical platform steps up to the loos with 5 or 6 cubicles. Remembering that this is an organic farm, the toilets themselves are actually a row of wheelie bins underneath the seat bench. (There is a separate urinal for those that stand.) Getting back to the toilets though – there are large hessian bags of sawdust and some tin cups outside each block, the idea being for #2’s you throw in some sawdust when you have completed what you need to do. As the sign says “do your poop then use a scoop”. That’s it, no need to flush (remember there is no water), close the lid, sort yourself out, job done! There is NO SMELL – it is amazing. Many times throughout the day there are volunteer “Dunny Angels” who come along and replenish toilet paper, sanitizer, sawdust etc etc and generally keep everything nice and clean. The wheelie bins are taken away to complete their composting process and eventually used as organic fertilizer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb