Back at Yeppoon (on the Tropic of Capricorn)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Yeppoon
August 8th 2015
Published: August 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We enjoyed being back at Airlie Beach, in fact we added another three days to our stay. We stay at the Big 4 Whitsunday Adventure caravan park at Cannonvale, the grounds are very nice with many palms and tropical plants, the usual jumping pillow, playground, mini golf etc. but it's the pool that we love the most. A breeze came up each afternoon but the pool was protected and so we spent a lot of our time lazing in the sun around on the pool recliners or actually swimming in the heated (slightly) pool. The bus goes right by the door so we spent one day back at Airlie Beach and another wandering around Proserpine.

But mostly it was by the pool, chatting to the other campers. One couple travel six months north and six months south and they were at the caravan park for the three months over winter, others had been there quite a few weeks and talked of the Christmas in July night they had (missed that too). One night they had an outdoor roast for the campers but it was a cool night so we declined.

And so we continued heading south on the highway. We drove through Mackay, first checking out Blacks Beach which we'd heard a fair bit from fellow campers that it is where they stay when going through Mackay. It was a pretty spot, a nice beach and the caravan park looked good too .. next time. Blacks Beach overlooks Brampton and Keswick Islands - it's interesting to find just where all these islands we've heard about, are. We visited our friends who live in Mackay and were shown over their nice new home.

We decided we'd have a go free camping, perhaps not the best idea after all the beautiful places we've stayed on this trip. There's a little town called St. Lawrence south of Mackay and we've seen caravans parked there when we've driven through. It's several kilometres off the highway which means a quiet night (apart from the trains that go through in the wee small hours). We managed to find a place to park, it was very full when we arrived. The sunset was magnificent, I didn't think to take a photo because I was busy closing curtains on other windows, hatches, etc. to keep in the warmth.

We woke to a freezing morning .. we softies did miss the electric blanket. There were quite a few kangaroos eating in the paddock behind us. We thawed out once we were back on the road with the sun shining through the window.

Now we're back at Yeppoon for a couple of nights, gorgeous in the sun, cool breeze still about. And it's very busy - the Victorians are heading home as they do at this time, ready for the football finals and the start of their bowls competition.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

From Blacks Beach, MackayFrom Blacks Beach, Mackay
From Blacks Beach, Mackay

Brampton Island, or is it Keswick Island??
Lammermoor Beach, YeppoonLammermoor Beach, Yeppoon
Lammermoor Beach, Yeppoon

on the way to our caravan park


11th August 2015

Love Your Comments
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you've had a great time & been in some wonderful & beautiful places. We are leaving Friday for an RV caravan trip into Canada & along the Gaspe Peninsula, then dropping into New Brunswick & Maine. We're looking forward to it. Take care.

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0777s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb