Central Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Yeppoon
July 7th 2015
Published: July 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Bundaberg is always a nice stay. We did our usual - visited macadamia and strawberry farms to stock up on their delicious fare, I made strawberry jam with some of them. We went to the coast - Bundy's about 20 kilometres inland. Bundy's beaches are always surprising as most of them are covered in large black rocks, the result of their only hill, known as the Hummock, erupting many eons ago and sending the rocks into the air and then all that distance to the coast. The popular beaches have been cleared with the rocks gathered and groins built at each end of the beach.

Elliott Beach was a surprise, it seems different every time we come. It's where the Elliott River runs to the sea, the sand is white and the river usually turquoise. This time it was extremely low tide and the river mouth was full of sand, no river to be seen. These things always change but I hope next time we see it it will be full of water again.

We had a night at Tannum Sands, a pretty spot with new owners in the park - miners' huts are gone and it was back to the pretty and popular family park, with a riverside walk to the beach. On then to Rockhampton, the cattle capital, and then to the coast once more, this time to Yeppoon. Cyclone Marcia caused quite a bit of damage to Yeppoon earlier this year and it could be seen with buildings still undergoing repair, some trees still stripped of leaves and some beaches washed out in places. The caravan park is very full with children on school holidays - they're having lots of fun in the pool and water slide. We saw the resident emu on the park's outskirts today, no doubt keeping away from the children in the main area.

We had today out at Emu Park. It's a very pretty town,about 15-20kms south of Yeppoon. This year is the centenaryof the landing of Gallipolli, and the RSL (Return Services League) building has been given a new coat of paint and a very nice memorial has been built opposite it. A new walkway is also under construction along the headland overlooking the beaches and the islands beyond.

We walked along the beach, looking at shells and then sat for quite a long time in the sun overlooking the ocean and the islands. We forget just what a nice spot it is. Emu Park might be a good place to stay on the way back, it's been awhile.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb