Wondai, South Burnette, Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Wondai
June 27th 2012
Published: June 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bullock In BronzeBullock In BronzeBullock In Bronze

Commemoration of the settlers and their hard work breaking in this country.
The Burnette region of Queensland has many small towns spaced only short distances apart. Each of these towns have an interesting history shared by way of various museums and old homesteads that have been made open to the public. Wondai has a couple of stops you should not miss.

Wondai is the aboriginal word for wild dogs or dingos. The town has a bronze statue set around a billabong honouring this part of the history.

Take time out to reflect the 150 years of change in these areas. From bullock carts and Cobb and Co, the arrival of rail (1901), an era that has given way to the modern motor vehicle. Wondai has a history founded on logging and farming, sheep initially, cattle more recently.

Visitors should allow a half day to visit this little town. The Tourist Information Centre is combined with a Timber Museum. On display is a great diarama depicting the early logging camps along with excellent wood turning from local artisans. Many items are for sale.

Just a quick walk away is the Wondai Museum. It came as a shock that some items on display are still in use in our house! Sounds like we should be museum pieces. Marg was particularly fascinated with the Wondai Hospital Operating Theatre which, when closed, was relocated to the museum lock, stock and barrel. This theatre closed around the same era as Marg completed her nursing registration (Wanganui, New Zealand), and so much stuff was exactly as her training days. The volunteer on duty tells a funny story how her partner had badly damaged his finger which needed stitching up. The local GP thought he could do it until he inspected the damaged bone. He didn't have a bone nibbler, and was about to send them off to Kingaroy when the volunteer said, 'We have a bone nibbler in the museum'. Upshot was she shot down to the museum, grabbed the implement from the Op Thr cabinet, and all was done locally.

Also in the same area, there is the Wondai Art Gallery. There was a really good display while we were there, and they run monthly exhibitions, so it is an ever changing display.

Also, there are two historic pubs, one dating back to before the rail came to town, the other shortly after.

Most activities are gold coin donation, and we
Logging Camp DiaramaLogging Camp DiaramaLogging Camp Diarama

An interactive display of the early working camps. See also wood turning by local artisans. This is at the Visitor Information Centr.
would encourage visits tp help keep these centres open and active.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The old hospital and TheatreThe old hospital and Theatre
The old hospital and Theatre

Where the Bone nibbler was found.
Ye Olde Fire EngineYe Olde Fire Engine
Ye Olde Fire Engine

Wondais first!
Milk bottlesMilk bottles
Milk bottles

Marg and I both remember as kids being excited when a milk bottle came with printing on it.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb