Good times at Gloucester Passage + another VIDEO link


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
May 24th 2014
Published: May 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday (24th May)

I pulled up the anchor and set sail at about 7am while Naomi & Alex were still in bed. In winds only just strong enough to hold the sails up, mostly the current pushed us slowly along the coast. It was a peaceful flat sail but still Naomi was feeling off and grumpy with it. Hard to believe she was sea-sick, we have been in rougher marinas! We are going to assume optimistically that its just tiredness otherwise being this sensitive to seasickness could end this trip.

When Gloucester Passage came into view the water became glassy and although we were still moving we started the motor so we could make the Montes Resort for lunch.

Anchored in the shallow water in front of the resort having travelled only 17 miles in 6 hours! Paddled ashore to the sound of the quirky live band playing by the bar, and found ourselves a table.

Had a delicious lunch (me fish & chips, Naomi Chicken Parmajiana (as always!)) in front of the band, with the view of Luna Ray and Gloucester Island bright in the sunshine as a backdrop. Alex had great fun on the trampoline
Alex enjoying the band at Montes ResortAlex enjoying the band at Montes ResortAlex enjoying the band at Montes Resort

Luna Ray at anchor top right
and we returned to the boat to find the wind had picked up a little but not enough to get us to the next anchorage before nightfall.



Being a little anxious about time, we studied just how far it is to Darwin, and we really need to speed up. Considered a night sail but I wasn’t keen as there was little moonlight tonight and glad on the decision when the wind dropped out a few hours later.



This morning, after a peaceful night and Naomi feeling well we motored out of the passage, lifted the sails and are on a broad reach across Edgecumbe Bay, passing Bowen which is hidden by the low clouds, aiming for Cape Upstart if the winds increase as BOM predicts. Its nice steady sailing now but only about 4 knots so we may have a late arrival.



The second half of my Parental Leave World Tour video is on YouTube now:





Luke



STOP PRESS ***

2:30 pm Well about noon the wind died out and progress became very slow. This coincided with passing Queens Bay so we turned in (this is just north of Bowen). Came in to anchor, avoiding a snorkeler, on the east side of the bay, just off a large unit complex. The bay has a boat ramp and houses lining the shore. Its a hot sunny windless day - perfect to BBQ some sausages for lunch. Looks like we'll be here for the night unless the wind does something surprising - only another 16 miles today !



PS This part of the trip is featured in this video "Whitsunday to Cairns" at


Advertisement



25th May 2014

An amazing opportunity
Sailing the seas is an amazing adventure and opportunity. I hope you never take it for granted. Keep pushing the water and you'll feel better. Eager to hear more about your trip. Love to know more details about your day to day life and if it is all you want it to be and expected it to be. What things or feelings have you had that you didn't expect?

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb