Whitsundays... really wet...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
February 3rd 2012
Published: April 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The next morning, we drove out to check out the water fall, think it was called Cedar creek waterfall, it was 20km from Airlie beach in the direction of Proserpine... again it was raining and the road leading to the water was under water, which was inpassible with out little car, but we were wet anyway, so we got out of the car, walked across the flooded section, got absolutely soaked in the rain, but this made jumping into the pool where the waterfall was really easily, because we were soaked from head to toe... The waterfall was really nice and the rainfall made it even better, water in that pool was really warm, definitely worth a swim...

For the Whitsundays cruise we chose Tongara, a boat that carries 25 with a crew of 2... I was abit nervous for Tanja before she has never been on a sailing boat doing multi-day trips in open sea... And as luck will have it... it started raining as soon as we got on the boat, during the first few hours, we sailed in 1 meter waves, so it was pretty good... The captain of the boat, Ash, used to be in the marine customs unit and he decided to buy a boat and run his own business... The passengers of the boat consisted of mostly Swedes and Germans with a few English people... One of the Swedes got sea sick as soon as he got on the boat... to make it worse for them... at night, it looked clear, so Ash put the mattresses out on the deck for everyone to sleep on the deck and look at stars, obviously the sleeping areas had some canvas covers to protect from limited rain... that night we were met with 30 knot wind and very heavy rain, sea was very choppy... everyone got wet... but I decided not to sleep on the deck and found a carbin bed to sleep in... was the best decision I made! It was very hot inside the carbin, but at least I got few hours sleep... The next morning wasn't a good look, no one got any sleep, half of the boat was sea sick... the Swedish guy was really really sea sick... then his girl friend got sea sick as well... I found Tanja on the deck, she was soaking wet, apparantly got really sea sick too...
444

Swedes
Anyways, the rain continued and along with choppy seas... We were hanging out mostly with the Swedes and Germans... The Swede who was most sea sick is a really funny guy, shame he had to be sea sick... on the final day, Ash goes, look like weather is clearing, sea is pretty calm, don't think anyone should be sea sick... the Swede goes 'you wanna make a bet?????' I really like it when people have a good sense of humour even if the situation is bad, so they are really cool to hang out with... On that, the final day was quite good with nice weather, we went to one of the islands, and then snorkelled for a few hours, Tanja wasn't sea sick anymore, she saw a few turtles whilst snorkeling on the reef, that made her day... so glad everything worked out despite the rain... We stayed in Airlie beach for another night after our cruise, caught with the Swedes at one of the bars... great group of people, spoke about meeting up in Cairns...


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

33
3

Johan, not sea sick at this point...
55
5

The next morning, after the storm...


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb