Up the East Coast.....tried camping...FAILED!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
May 31st 2010
Published: May 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

G'Day my lovely blog reader,

We have had some fun times since Sydney...I shall fill you all in! After we wrote the last blog we went on a night out, it was our 'leaving do' according to our mates who are working in Sydney even though we had only been there for a week.
We went out in King's Cross which is Sydney's Red Light District, quite funny wandering along the street next to some on the worst looking prostitutes EVER! Had a good night in a club (don't worry there are some really nice places there too)!
Said farewell to the parents the next morning to get our flight to Byron Bay as it was the same price as flying and so much quicker. Was possibly the funniest flight ever, the plane was tiny and had about ten seats, it was so small that I could not actually stand up in it. I think we were the only passengers who actually checked in baggage.
The wait for our bags was about 30 seconds, we saw them put them on the car.....drive them to the drop off and then we had them!

Hostels in Byron were expensive (as is ALL of Australia) so we decided that it would save us loads of money to buy a tent and camp. The campsite we were on was amazing, and all the backpackers with campervans were staying there so lots of communal goon (cheap cheap cheap boxed wine.....4 litres for $10) drinking!
Stayed in Byron for a few days as it is really chilled out, we spent most days wandering around the town and sitting on the beach....NOT in bikinis though as a bit too cold for that.
We went to the Lighthouse in Byron on our last day and did a small walk which took us to the most Esterly point in Mainland Australia.......saw some amazing scenery and they had ridiculous houses up there looking out over Byron Bay, I think the cheapest was about $3 million!

We had a few nights out with a few girls we met in Byron, one of them was from Derby so going to meet up when we get home, they had been to Thailand too so shared stories about that.

After Byron we headed to Brisbane where our mates we travelled Malaysia with were working. We spent about four days there (in
The stolen tent The stolen tent The stolen tent

Isn't it amazing?
a hostel) and just did the standard city stuff. We wandered around a lot (Free fun is what we do best) and ate a lot of sushi as it is so cheap here.
We had a few nights out in Brisbane and as you are not allowed to pre drink in the hostel the guys took us to the park next to the hostel where they always pre drink........we felt about 15!!!!
We went to the cinema a few times in Brisbane and on our last night went to see A Nightmare On Elm Street.......bad idea when you are camping for the next few days!!

After Brisbane we went to Noosa Heads for two night. We camped here and it rained literally non stop! We didn't see much other than the four walls of our tent and a lot of magazines!!
We still found this rather funny and spent the whole time giggling.....partly because we were the only young people on the campsite and the only other young people were a school named Gympie High School who were camping next to us.

After all of that we were quite glad to leave Noosa and make our way to
Goon!Goon!Goon!

Drink of Australia
Hervey Bay where we went out on a 3 days two nights Fraser Island trip with 20 other people in bright pink 4x4's. We made the local news as it was the first ever tour of the island that was done with a guided driver.
It rained a bit while we were on Fraser but was still really good fun! Spent the day's driving around the island in convoy (which is a World Heritage Site and the worlds largest sand island) seeing the sights then set up camp for the night where we had dinner and then played drinking games (OBVIOUSLY with goon). There were a lot of Dingo's hanging around and a few massive spiders but other than that no threatening wildlife.
We got back to the hostel feeling rough after no shower for 3 days and VERY early mornings to find that the local news were there....GOOD times! We put the shades on and stood in the background looking 'aloof'!!

Sorry if this blog doesn't make the most sense, the keyboard is not great and we got an overnight bus last night from Hervey Bay and didn't get much sleep.....did watch The Green Mile though- what a good film! We are in Airlie Beach now....did some sunbathing earlier and are heading out to The Whitsunday Islands tomorrow!!

The next blog will probably be from New Zealand.......scary scary! It's insane how quickly five months have passed, we feel as if it should still be winter in the UK and nothing has changed for you!

Getting really excited for The World Cup....going to get up to watch it in NZ, the time difference is 12 hours I think so should be able to catch the matches!

We were listening to the radio the other day and realised that we have NO IDEA what is going on with music anymore.....or TV! We only heard about GLEE the other day.....feel so backwards..ha!

So....if you have any news for us then please share 😊

LOVE you all
Love Clare + Luce x


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

IBISIBIS
IBIS

Horrible bird


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb