Sailing the Whitsunday Islands 8th - 11th December 2017


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays
December 8th 2017
Published: December 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We had a bit of a slack day before we set sail at 1630. Went paddle boarding for 45 mins. A bloke walking past said there had been a crock sighted so a girl that was paddle boarding too got the wind up. Went for a swim at the lagoon then a bite to eat at KCs.

We went back to the Airbnb to shower, change and pack then walked to the RV at the coffee club at the marina. I went off to the bottle sop to buy some alcoholic beverages. 1 x 70 cl bottle of gin, 3 x bottles of white wine and 6x cans of cider. 1630 we were met by Nina our hostile and taken to the boat with the other 3 couples. Emanuel and Florence from Switzerland, Joanne and Jens from Poland and Germany, John and Nicole from Boston USA. Our skipper was Chris from the UK.

We went under power for most of the time but with a little time under sail with engine assist. It took about 3 hrs to get to our 1st mooring at Stonehaven. Fantastic meal of Hoaki and salad. I made G&T for all

Next day snorkelling at Stonehaven, sailing and a walk on a sand island that was disappearing and nearly got us cut off when the tide started to come in so fast. Back to the boat and off to the next mooring at Tongue Bay. Steak dinner cooked by Captain Chris.

Next day we went to Hill inlet above Whitehaven Beach to take some pics. We then went and done a bit of snorkelling at a new site then went back to the Hill inlet moorings to walk to Whitehaven beach. The sands are fantastic. So fine and it squeaks as you walk on it. They used this place fo a “pirates of the Caribbean“ film but as there was only one palm tree on the beach they bought in 90 more then sold them off to the locals. When we were there, there was 100s of youngsters (backpackers) playing in the sea, on the sand and having a great time. We then went to our final mooring at Nara Inlet.

We saw a turtle swimming behind the boat. It came up twice. We the went ashore to see the aboriginal cave paintings and we saw 2 bloody big spiders that Alex put her hand behind to give it some perception of size. We now know it to be a poisonous Golden Orbe Spider!!! What a brave wife I have and it was her idea. We then set sail for home port of Airlie Beach.

We did manage to put the sails up a few times and I got to pull on a few ropes, set an anchor and steer the boat. I think I can say that this has been the best part of our holiday so far without doubt.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0991s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb