The Wetsundays


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Whitsundays » South Molle Island
February 6th 2007
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I'd just like to draw everyone's attention to the title of todays diary, which is very funny.

At 6am we were awoken, not feeling super, however they'd made bacon sandwiches for breakfast, so once we'd got on the boat, I was feeling OK, as was a guy called Gilles who was Canadian, so we were up the front of the boat with our legs over the front, having I think the best time I've had since I've been out here. The waves were brilliant. Half the boat were being sick over the side, but up front it was like being on an amazing water rollercoaster thing, the waves were massive, and we were getting thrown all over the place and soaked through. Honestly I was like an excited 5 year old. We got to Whitehaven beach (the one in all the postcards), which was very white, however the weather was still crap although not raining, so messed about in the sea for a while off there. Was very pretty though.

Lunch back on the boat was really good actualy, just sandwiches but they had pastrami and cheese and tomato and chicken and tuna and salad and things. Good. Happy.

Waves had died down by then (very annoyed about that), but it meant that they stopped the engines and sailed for a bit, and we played a game where you could jump off the front of the boat whilst it was moving, it would sail over the top of you, then you grabbed a rope off the back and pulled yourself back on. I think I went round about 9 times. Brilliant fun. Gilles tried it, but he wasn't very good and missed the rope so we had to turn around and pick him up. Idiot.

We got back to the resort in time for a really nice swim in the huge pool which was good and nice to not be salty and sticky, then shower and back down to the bar! Lots of Macaw parrot birdy things there that ate from your hand will put photos up... Another really good night, involving a lot of singing. Lots of swedish guys there so some swedish song with the words Bira Bira Bira, Bosh Bosh Bosh in it. this translates as beer beer beer beer beer beer. Clever.

Next morning was horrible, Bacon and eggs didn't even fix it. On the plus sude we went for a bit of a snorkel. Visibility wasnt great but the reef was amazing, and some of the fish are incredible colours, was a bit like being in an aquarium. Really enjoyed that, but was then time to go back to the mainland. No waves still disappointingly, but lunch was good again so that was a plus. Sleepiness had started to catch up now so was a quiet trip back. Once we'd got into the hostel and checked in and walked the 6 million miles to where my room was. Very very tired, however also very very smelly and had no clean clothes that didn't smell of damp, so did some laundry and sat and chatted with the canadian guys for a bit. There was an afterparty that night in the bar next door so we all felt obliged to go. I didn't really want to. Still, there's something very special about a freshly tumble dried towel, so once I was all clean we went for a cheap meal in this bar, and a beer. Once I'd had these things, I fell asleep on the table, so just went home to bed! Today woke up to the news that I can't get to Cairns (where my flight is to Brisbane in 2 days) as everything's still flooded, so am having to get the Greyhound all the way back down to avoid paying for a new flight as well as losing the money on the first one, which I am. Hence spending the rest of the day here in Airlie where the weather isn't ideal but it's OK, then overnight hound tonight back down south. Flight to NZ on the 10th so should be fine for that.

Right, back to hostel for lunch, then to the lagoon thing here for an afternoon of book reading. My latest chick magnet is Jane Eyre. For the first time in weeks, this is finally up to date! Also can't believe I've been away for a month and a half almost, feels like about a week!

Until next time I leave you with one of my best recent jokes. Our Whitsunday trip wasn't delayed, but if it was it would've been the Whitmondays.

Advertisement



6th February 2007

It looks like your jokes are no better than when you were 6 and you used to walk around sucking your fingers and reading your Ha Ha Bonk Joke Book!!But sadly they still make me chuckle!Really must go...going to be late for work. x x x x x
6th February 2007

Fun times
Dear Mattabore, (nice eh?) Apologies for not keeping up with adoring messages, it does seem like you're having a much better time than at the start, and I can't decide how I feel about that. Pleased you haven't been killed by any of the Australian beasties yet, and I realise that this is a family site so if anything interestin/embarrasing/disgusting happens with a girl, or in a girl-type situation, be sure to keep us updated. Its 8.40 on a rare timetabled morning off and I've got to get back to work, I have an exam on Friday, rehearsals tonight and Thursday and a rugby match tomorrow. West side.
6th February 2007

Sunny sunny England
Hello!Good blog enteries, lots of info and more importantly lots of Mattatour jokes. Things here are fine, start block placement next week, joy of joys. Sounds like ur a little damp but at least ur going sum where new and exciting very soon. Only the place of LOTR!! Take sum pictures for Grandma and us. No doubt there will be numerous pics of u pretending to be Golum! Hope ur still v ghappy and Paul is getting better. Love you lots xxx
8th February 2007

Beer in Peru?
Hello from Peru! Im currently sat in an internet cafe in Pisac (place where Im staying with a Peruvian family since I arrived on Saturday.) So, when does the mattatour bring you to Peru? Im moving to Huyro (place of Incan project) in next week/10 days, then will be based there permanently during each week, but can get the bus to Cusco for beers etc for a night or 2 at the weekend. Just let me know when/where, Tom P.S. It may take a while to acclimatise, so donĀ“t hit the beers too hard upon arrival!!
11th February 2007

tumble drier magic
"There's something very special about a freshly tumble dried towel" Aahhhh... Indeed there is. Your mum, my mum and grandma will all be very proud of you... even amongst your beer mumblings you appreciate tumble drier magic! I can't remember if was the Comfort or Lenor fabric softener ads which had a small child heading off on their first school trip... and happily snuggling in to the fresh smelling towel they had with them ;-) Apologies for lack of comments from me over the last couple of weeks - works been crazy busy, and my new laptop has completely bust so no internet at home. I arrived at the gym about an hour ago... but so far, all I've done is catch up on your news. Sounds v hot! We had loads of snow on Thursday - 2 big snowmen in the front garden. Reading on....

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb