Cape York - Saturday 6th June Weipa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Weipa
June 6th 2015
Published: June 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi all, today is Saturday and we packed up from Mutee Heads to head back towards Weipa. This is the start of our journey back to Melbourne but we still have a week left us here so we will spend a couple of nights at Weipa and then travel down South and stay 3 nights at Port Douglas. before we left Xavier, Matthew and Mason went for one last fish on the Tinny at 6 am. They came back smiling as they caught two big Queen Fish. It is important at this point for me to highlight that both fish were not as big as the one I caught. I still hold the record for the largest fish caught by our group for the whole holiday period. I make sure I remind them all every chance I get. It took us 6 hours to go 350km on dirt and sand roads. The roads are not too bad actually so we have been lucky. We saw quite a few cattle as we were going through one of the cattle stations called Botavia Downs. The cattle were close to the road and the stations was doing some burn offs. Lots of smoke in the air. We had lunch at Bramwell station. The owners of Bramwell station run a cattle ranch but have also opened it up for camping and tourism. We thought we would try our luck for lunch. We didn't know what was there and we had to go 15km out of our way. We went there and the man at the bar said that they have limited lunch. We asked what that meant and he said they had toasted ham and tomato And nothing else. This did not surprise us given we have already had meals on other days where the menu consisted of only one option. Anyhow we ordered four toasted sandwiches. They were the best sandwiches we had had for ages. Anything is good when you are hungry. Anyhow we will be heading off to see the Weipa fishing classic tomorrow. This should be interesting. We had dinner at the Weipa bowling club. They wouldn't let Xavier in so he only had a singlet on. We reminded him to wear one before we left but he forgot. When we got there he had a go at all of us for not reminding him again. He had to go back to the camp and we went inside without him. Very funny. We were joined by Alan and Leonie who are our new friends from Seisa and now we met again here in Weipa. At to dinner I told everyone the story of how I caught the big Queeny at Mutee Heads. Let me just say the story is getting on Tracey's nerves as I have repeated myself a million times now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb