Lakeland to Weipa


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Weipa
August 7th 2011
Published: August 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post



1-8-11 Happy Birthday Dennis. We packed up & stored the van at Lakeland & took off to Cooktown.
Cooktown is an old town which is spread out; we stocked up on a few essentials & had a look around at the Wharf & Beach. We then had the best fish & chips for lunch. We took off on the Battle Creek Road, all dirt & river crossings. We stopped at Isabella Falls & Normanby River, before heading to Laura for the night. It’s just a campground with toilets & showers $20 a night. 2-8-11 From Laura we stopped at Hann River Roadhouse, where there was a pink & blue chook & lots of birds. We then stopped at Musgrave, Coen & then onto Archer River Roadhouse, $20 a night & a nice grassy area to camp. Lots of corrugated roads & the dust was unbelievable. 3-8-11 Decided to go to Chilli Beach, through the Iron Range National Park. It was a good drive all dirt & lots of river crossings. Well what can I say Chilli Beach is like an oasis, white sands & coconut trees, with a little bit of rain Forest’s to boot, $10.30 a night. We set up near the beach & it was pretty windy so we backed the tents to the We went & had a look at Portland & back to camp. 4-8-11 today we went to Lockhart River, an Indigenous Settlement, not a lot to see there. We stopped at the World War 2 Museum & then went to Portland to “The Cafe” for a great lunch. There are no showers at Chilli Beach, so we had washes & the loo was a bit on the nose, but is worth the visit. 5-8-11 to 7-8-11 off to Weipa today, more dirt roads & dust. We got powered sites to charge the batteries $30 a night. OH THAT HOT SHOWER WAS GOOD!!!!!! Not a lot to see in Weipa but a great way to charge our batteries. We have done some sightseeing & washed & relaxed & tonight we are taking our chairs & drinks down by the bay at the camp for a fish dinner, should be good. We have spent our nights playing Rummicube & so far the Girls are the winners. Leaving tomorrow to head further up, more dirt & dust. I think it will take the boys a week to clean the cars when we get back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb